HybridZ

Motor mounts and grade 8 bolts

Sumo

Does it matter if you buy an aftermarket motor mount or do you have to buy the Chevy OEM? I got some cheap from Carquest. Also, where do you guys buy your bolts for mounting the spacers and setback plates? Home Depot only has up to grade 5. :shock:

Up to you on your motor mounts. I sheared an aftermarket Sealed Power set within a few years and they were harsh. My pricey new GM mounts have a much better quality rubber in them and although pricey I feel they were worth it for my daily driver. Ron Tyler also thought a large part of his super smooth Lt1240Z was due to his OEM motor mounts (and high speed balanced aluminum driveshaft).

Guest Night_rider_383

If you have an ACE heardweare close by check them out. Out here at our ace's they have a "help your self" bolt center. Its a full wall with pull out bins, diff size bolts in each bin and they are all marked. Here they have grade 8 bolts in just about all the thread sizes and pitch

Well our Home Depot here in Irving sucks no grade 8 bolts. I didnt know the 5's would suffice,every body else on the board seems to share the opinion that the 8's are the standard. Of all places i got the bolts from CAT. You know they make the bulldozers, payloaders and other HUGE orange things. :D The mounts were only $9 bucks through a "friend."

Hey guys while we are on the subject of bolts. What size bolts did you all use with the JTR mounting system?

Tomahawk Z made me a set of JTR set back plates and spacers and suggested 4 1/2" bolts on one side and 3 1/2" bolts on the other. Both are too long.

What do you folks suggest? I was thinking maybe a 2 1/2 and a 3incher would work.

Thanks for the tip Greg

Georgia, here is a list of bolts that was given to me

1- 3/8 x 16 x 3/4

1- 3/8 x 16 x 2 1/2

2- 3/8 x 16 x 2 1/4

3- 3/8 x 16 x 3

4- 3/8 x 16 x 1

at least that's what i got so far, it does'nt include the bolts for the motor mounts to the Datsun mount. But i still have to mock the plates Sunday to the block to see if they are the proper length.

I finally found the grade 8 bolts in Home Depot! I found someone who works there that actually knows something about bolts. :cuss: Although they cost a little more than what i paid for at the CAT place and not much in variety of sizes.