HybridZ

Looking to purchase a RB26 powered 240z to race in NZ

S15 200sx owner

Have been thinking of building one of these for quite some time now, am now thinking maybe better to try to buy a car already converted complete with all the bits. Intend to have as a road registered race car here in New Zealand.

Whats the chances of picking a car like this up, should i be looking in Japan perhaps.

Any help in tracking down a car would be most appreciated.

Just seen the targa huh? :lol:

I really think you will be building this yourself. I havent heard of one here yet. Doesnt mean it doesnt exist, but if you do it yourself then it will be what you want it to be and can be built to the conditions you forsee. There is a guy in Auckland who has a rb25 gto replica that is on this site. Thats the closest I know of.

Douglas

Yeah i did catch the last stage in wellington, but i have just spent the weekend up at Manfield watching the Whittakers classic motor race, saw a couple of real nice 240z's and got all inspired again.

An RB'd 240z would make a really good targa car though! Just been re-reading Stony's RB26 into Z post again, and am thinking the RB25 or even the good old RB20 head onto the RB30 (from the VL Holden commodore) conversion might be a better bet, I guess we are spoilt for choice with this Jap import stuff here in NZ arn't we!

However there must be some well tricked up RB26 240z's in Japan that i c an import, surely!!!

Hey cheers for the reply Doug, What are you running?

Clint.

Clint,

350 chev and supra 5 speed in a 260z. Just about to take the engine over to csl in Palmy for a rebuild. looking for around 450 hp at the crank. Its been a long, drawn out rebuild. over 2.5 years now. I have made new front and rear ends that adress some of the aero issiues and had to replace a lot of roof and floor pan due to rust. Hopefully i will get it out of body and paint jail in Jan.

There is a lot of engines out there. Dont overlook the supra 3.0 turbo. It might be the best bang for buck. I think finding a desent 240 shell will be the hardest bit.

Cheers

Douglas

Guys, I believe there have been a number of RB30 (with the RB20 head) installs done in OZ. I did read on the classiczcars.com site that a guy in Melbourne had his RB30 (with TC head) build he in ALK NZ as these guys were very good at this kind of work - however he never did say who the shop was - see http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11123&highlight=nz

Good luck with the install whatever you end up doing. I have also heard of a 240z here in NZ with a VQ45 V8 installed.

what are you looking for?

drag car, street car? a couple of guys including me have felt the waters for selling there cars but backed out.

Mine will have well over 30K in it when the backhalve/ powergluide/700RWHP rb26 swap done. If i where to sell mine i would be in that ballpark for a selling price.

Keep an eye on ebay and this forum they will come up. Japan yahoo has all kinds of rb26 swapped cars. gotta have a friend that can bid on them though.

Looking for a serious street car that will be suitable to run in a few targa/circuit racing events etc

Whats the deal with The Japan Yahoo? do you have to be in Japan to bid?

Yes you have to have a japan address to bid. and most will not ship outside of japan.

I have a couple of buddies that bid on stuff for me.

Clint' date='

350 chev and supra 5 speed in a 260z. Just about to take the engine over to csl in Palmy for a rebuild. looking for around 450 hp at the crank. Its been a long, drawn out rebuild. over 2.5 years now. I have made new front and rear ends that adress some of the aero issiues and had to replace a lot of roof and floor pan due to rust. Hopefully i will get it out of body and paint jail in Jan.

There is a lot of engines out there. Dont overlook the supra 3.0 turbo. It might be the best bang for buck. I think finding a desent 240 shell will be the hardest bit.

Cheers

Douglas[/quote']

if youre talking about the 7mgte, i agree. the 2j is obviously a far superior engine (comparing 3l turbo toyota mills here), but the 7m you can pick up for around 800 bucks, retorque the headgasket and off you go. speedtech claims that replacing the intercooler and exhaust nets 300hp. now thats bang for buck. and i'd stick it in a 280z. much easier to find a good example for cheap. didnt know there were so many nz'rs on here :P

Bugger it, i've decided i will build my own, and i will go for a RB30DET hybrid (RB30 from GM Holden Commodore with the RB25DE DOHC head) and a big puffer!! I will use the 5 spd from the R33 Skyline (good for truck loads of HP)

Not sure what rear end to use, what is the R230 i see people talking about? I currently drive a S15 200SX (Spec R) it has the same LSD diff as the R34 GTR, supose to be bullet proof! what is the code of this diff?? is it the go? or the diff from a Z32 TT????

Does anyone know if the brakes/susp from a R32/R33 skyline will swap into a 240Z???

If so it might be the go to buy a wreck skyline as doner for all the bits, maybe even the diff???

I am on a mission to start collecting the bits.....I guess a good place to start would be a 240Z.......any one in NZ know of anything???

Its all custom work. Nothing will swap straight in and it will be wider. Its been talked about before so if you want exact details have a bit of a wonder through the older posts.

I found my zed in the trade and exchange. Its a 2+2 so they are a bit easyer to come buy. "Trade me" has had a few as well. May take a while to find one worthy of you project.

Douglas

S15 Owner, - long answer

There are number of options for diff, brakes etc some will bolt in some will not depends on what bits and how to go about it. Please search the different section with-in this site - there is truck lots of info on all of these questions. But I will see if I can save you a little time. If you can find a late model 260z 2 seater I think this is a better starting point for the following reasons.

1. Most 260z will have a R200 diff (240z have R180) = should be strong enough for the job (you can easily fit a R200 into a 240z - again do a search on this site) - ensure you get the right R200 there a 2 types long nose (260z) and short nose (Skyline, Silvia's 180sx/200sx)

2. last model 260Z have larger chassis rails and stronger rear strut tower (for the US guys these are the same difference between a 260Z and 280Z I believe)

3. The purest won't get upset (but who cares about them this is your project)

4. 260Z have strong stub axles (240z's have been known to break under extreme HP and abuse) so you will want these.

5. 260z (even 2 seater) usually cost less.

6. 260z have a larger steering rack (someone correct me if I am wrong) as there is a different size mounting kit between the two models

If not get a 240Z and a 260z 2+2 for a parts car to get these bits off (or other parts ie guards etc)

I did look at a 240z on Friday here in Auckland was 4 sale on T&E for $2500. However this was a mess (my brother is a car restorer and said it was too much work = $$$ for all the rust repair, if looking local at a car Zeds have a few known to rust spot so do your homework and look, look and look you don't want to part with your hard earned $$ on a lemon)

I would also recommend upgrading the half-shafts to CV units (I am yet to do this for my Z. I know of an engineer here in Auckland that makes CV adapters for the 260z stub axles from chrome-moly to be used with Z31 of R31 half-shafts, I am looking into the options/prices vs getting these from

http://www.modern-motorsports.com as I plan to do this also)

Re the brakes a bolt on solution is the toyota 4 ports and Z31 n/a 4 stud vented rotors for the fronts and S13 + Z31 n/a dics on the rear with a few custom adapter for both of these setup - I have this on my Z (still of the road).

If you are interested in the $$ for the CV setup once I know shot me a PM with your email and we can talk about options etc - might be worth looking into sharing the shipping cost if we get a few parts from http://www.modern-motorsports.com (or any other NZ member for that matter, just send a PM with email and lets start talking/planning etc)

And as Douglas states Z32/R230 will be all custom work. Again do your homework use this research to assist with your budget. If you need someone in Auckland to look at Zeds 4 sale I can visit take pics and email etc

Mike

Hey cheers Mike, Thanks for the info! appreciate it! I will PM you. I rang up about a 72 240z (auto) in Hamilton over the weekend. But sounds like the late model 260Z would be the go! at the end of the day i dont care as long as it is the smaller body style 2 seater!

Went to the Port road Street drags on Sunday, interesting! there were a few fast skylins there. one with a RIPS built RB30DET with close to 600HP, this is the guy i will get to build the engine for the Z once i find one! It was a good day until some poor buggers thoatle jammed fully open and went straight ahead into a concrete building - very nasty!!!

Hey thanks for all the help you guys are great!

sorry 260s didnt come with r-200s they only came in the 280s and z31 300Zs. and the halfshafts from the r-200s are the weak point.

The entire rear gtr suspension can be grafted into the Z but its an extensive undertanking and not for an amature.

I'm have mine backhalved with a ford 8.8. this Will for sure cure my rearend breakage problems.

My 2 cents

sorry 260s didnt come with r-200s they only came in the 280s and z31 300Zs

I must clear something up for the LHD world. Yes the 260z did come with R200 and was made until 1978 for the RHD world. We did not get a 280z. The first time we got the L28 was in the 79 280ZX or the 280c (laurel of the late 70's). As a result we did not get the s30 with EFI = none of the HP sapping anti smog crap = no need for the 280z = 260z did come with R200 for the RHD would. Early 260z did not come with R200 but the later model did - assume this was the same time the Nissan factory change from 260z to 280z for the LHD production run/spec change (sometime in 75). Another good point of the RHD models it is very very hard to find a 4 spd (5 spd was standard for the 240z and 260z manual, the fairlady/200z/s31 had the 4 spd standard until 75ish )= all 240z I have seen/owned have been 5spd from the factory including #00016 I once owned.

Hope this explains some of the other differences I listed in the post above and between the RHD and LHD, early 260z, late 260z (reads 280z for the markets that got the 280z)

Cheers

Mike :D