HybridZ

Competition for Terry? (blueovalz)

zeeboost

I've seen that. IMO, it's a waste. for the money he spend making the ferrari kit, he could've bought a real ferrari. Taking one "exotic" and turning it into another exotic is kind of retarded: think of taking an aston martin and convering it into a TVR or something.

Guest bastaad525

Aux - but I don't think he could have bought THAT Ferrari. The real F50's are super rare and pricey like the Enzo aren't they? $500k+ if i remember right? We know the NSX is like $90k on it's own, so that leaves $400k left and I doubt they spend that much on the body work... lord at least I hope they didn't! Too bad it wont perform anywhere near the F50's level... but then... performance upgrades for the NSX are abundant, so he probably could get the looks AND peformance of the F50 and still come out ahead cost wise.

Considering how rare the F50 is I could see the motivation for doing it at least... not like he's converting it into an F360 or some 'common' Ferrari like that. Wonder if there are Enzo kits and for which car(s)?

I've got mixed feelings (as I'm sure many have had with the BlueOvalZ) in that I'm impressed with the vision and process used in fabricating the bodywork, but not sure of the final product's efficacy (in regards to the prancing horse). These photos brought back a lot of memories of the exact same process I used, except this guy who did the NSX was much more meticulous in his foamwork than I was, and the final pieces are really nice :shock: I'm impressed!! I'd have to shake his hand (or bow) and congratulate him on a job well done. Aux has a point though, in that as talented as this body man is, I'd like to see what he could do in an "original" design.

At first I didn't really like it, but the more I think about it, the more I understand why he did it. First off, don't think "$80k NSX". Think, "Well used $30k NSX". And he didn't duplicate the F40, exactly. It looks like a combination of different Ferraris - the F40, the Enzo, and some of the Testarossa in places. It's like they knew they'd never be able to exactly duplicate any one Ferrari, so they just gave it a lot of imitation Ferrari flavor, and keep the audience guessing as to which one it was.

And after you're done, you've got the rock-solid reliability of the Honda underpinnings instead of the notoriously high-strung Italian workings. Maybe for $50,000 you get a car that performs well (if not as well as the real thing), looks sharp enough to turn heads, and is more reliable than the real thing.

And nobody can argue that the bodywork was really well done!

Great skill, wasted.

My 7 yr old daughter would not be fooled by that car. I agree with Terry - too bad this guy didn't get the opportunity to create an original design. I'm sure this was the customer's idea.

The thing I'm most impressed with is the symmetry: it's one thing to carve a nice shape and lay glass over it. It's another thing to create an exact mirror image of that shape.

Well, I think Terry has no competition in this case........it's not a Z !!! Also, I rather doubt that the NSX has the HP to match the prancing horse badging. However, as Terry said, the overall exicution on the NSX is outstanding. Terry, your Z is still the "Bomb" !!! :D

Guest unknownroadster

You know those fake plants that are in a pot or something, and they shove the stems in a green foam soaked in water, well you can get that stuff from Wal-Mart, thats what I use, and its ALOT easier to deal with rather than styrofoam. You can even shape it with your fingers. Dont forget the hot glue gun..

Yeah, this was the exact same stuff I used. But I'm always looking for a better material (something that is a little more rigid and durable than this type of foam, but still resistant to solvents, and is still easy to sand. I have used the rigid foam, covered with wide masking tape to protect against the resin, for large flat pieces (as well as sheet aluminum).