HybridZ

Car won't start....still

Ok. The wife is back from Korea and I am somewhat relieved of mommy duties so now i can work on my Z again (does gas stay good for a year with no Stabil :) . I didn't think so. Back to the problem at hand. I have a complete SDS system with a 280ZX turbo motor. The car won't start or turn over at all. When I turn the ign. switch the lights come on and everything works in the "on" position but when I turn it to crank I get nothing. What do you guys think it is? Help!!

I can hear the fuel pump working. I had the starter tested and it is fine. The weird thing is I don't get anything when I turn the key. Not a click from the starter or nothing. I had the alt. tested also and that wasn't it. Could the ign. switch work in the "acc" pos. and not in the "on"? How can I test that?

Yes it might do that and your switch could be bad, but don't jump there yet, it's usually not the culprit. Check your fuses and solenoids first. Then your grounds for the battery, for the starter, etc.

then...

1. Does the engine turn if the starter is directly hit with juice?

If no, try moving the engine by hand with a breaker bar on the crank pulley.

2. Will it turn if you hook juice straight to the starter relay relay (the big one)?

If no, hit it soundly with a mallet and try it again.

If no then you may need a new one, have it checked out.

3. Remove the ignition switch and hot jump the start points. If it still doesn't start there may be a bad connection. At this point welcome to the world of electrical troubleshooting and good luck.

I can hear the fuel pump working. I had the starter tested and it is fine. The weird thing is I don't get anything when I turn the key. Not a click from the starter or nothing. I had the alt. tested also and that wasn't it. Could the ign. switch work in the "acc" pos. and not in the "on"? How can I test that?

Do you have a multimeter?