HybridZ

No brake pedal with engine running

I have pumped up my brakes and bled them several times without the engine running, but when the engine is on the brake pedal has no feel to it. At first, the pedal would go all the way to the floor, so I done some searching and found many post of people that had the same problem. I went thru the rod adjusting, bench bleeding, and even the mityvac routines that others had recommended. When I adjusted the rod, the only change is that the pedal doesn't go to the floor now, it seems to stop about halfway.

I have the 4-runner kit in the front and the 240sx calipers/300zx rotor kit in the rear, both from Ross. A 280zx MC and Wilwood proportion valve. Every brake line, both hard and braided lines are new, so I gravity bled, bled and then used the mityvac to bleed atleast 10 resoviors of fluid.

Still, I can pump the brakes up and bleed them with the engine off but no pedal with the engine on. It does have pressure on the rotors when the engine is on, but I have no way to tell how much. I hope that someone can point out something that I have missed because this is the last hurdle (HOPEFULLY) before I can take that long awaited trip around the block.

Mark

Sounds like what happened to mine. The reaction disk fell out of the power booster when someone changed the master cylinder. I bought a new booster and it solved the problem. By then I had replaced the entire braking system and still had the pedal to the floor problem.

If the rod is pulled a bit from the power booster when the M/C is removed then the reaction disk will fall out and cause this problem.

I know for sure that my rod has been pulled out several times by me, time to call NAPA. I did read some of the old post where that was mentioned but I don't remember if anyone said that that had caused their problem, unless I read over something. There is quite a few post where many others have the same complaint.

Other than having no pedal pressure, do you know if the full pressure is being applied to the rotors?

Thanks for your input.

Mark

Great call. I replaced the booster today and everything works fine. Just got back from the first test drive. The brakes are not perfect, but I still have yet to adjust the proportion valve and bleed the entire system after reinstalling the MC.

Thanks for the help.

Mark