HybridZ

where did my power go

gexgexgexgex

i swaped a 280zxt into my 240 z and loved it. the car was fast, very fast for me. i was running only 7 psi and it was running great. then my fuelpump died. the car would run perfect at idle and run perfect untill i wanted to boost and drive fast. so i put in one of those msd electric fuel pumps. the car still runs perfect at idle, but i still dont have any power. i can rev the car to like 5000 rpm with only like 20% throttle, i am am thinking it has a fuel prob.

the car feels like this

i hit the gas, and floor it, pulls till like 3000rpm and is making 6 psi boost, all nomal, but then the car like stops making power and like falls on its face slow. and some times a loud poping comes out the back.

could it be my stock fule pressure regulator or some other prob. i dont think it is anything like spark b/c i can rev to 5000rpm with no prob as long as i am only like 20% throttle.

anything would help

If nothing else changed, I'd be checking the fuel pressure under load. Sometimes those old regulators can't handle a high-pressure/high-flow fuel pump... Either buy a fuel pressure gauge and plumb it into the system temporarily, or hit the local dyno (surely they have fuel pressure gauges?). Find out what the base fuel pressure is supposed to be - under boost, the pressure should rise at the same rate as boost (1:1 rate), so if base is 45psi, you should see 51psi at 6psi boost.

Otherwise, the new pump might be drawing a lot of current and dropping the voltage to the coil... or you could have a bad lead. A bad lead/coil tends to cause misfire under load... but it's kind of obvious when the spark goes as it's pretty violent!

First of all congrats on completing the swap! Second of all, how many times has this been said? Check your AFM, ECU, TPS connectors. Disconnect them, clean with electrical contact cleaner, smear some di-electric grease on the blades and reassemble. Better than 80% of the time, that is the problem.....TRY IT.

Another thing that it sounds like to me is the stock knock sensor. It can pull a ton of timing out and make the car feek like that.

Is it still hooked up? At stock boost with good gas it really shouldn't be doing anything but, if the tune is off then it might be. Check your plugs and connections then verify your timing.

Guest bastaad525

Yep... ALWAYS make checking/cleaning your wiring harness connectors the first thing to do with odd problems like this.

These are the exact same symptoms experienced by myself, Cygnus, and quite a few other guys here, and when all we did was disconnect and clean the connections at the ECU, AFM, and sensors, all was well afterwards. I also used the dielectric grease on ALL my connections the last time I had to clean them, and have not had to touch them since. That was about ... 3-4 mos. ago if I remember right? Used to be the car would start running crappy on boost, every 2 weeks to a month and I'd have to clean everything.

The new pump could be overwhelming the FPR, but I'd think it'd be much more noticeable off boost than on. When I upgraded to an MSD pump, using the tiny tiny stock 240z return line, fuel pressure was way up, like 80psi. It ran very rough and bogged badly, smoking and backfiring, under normal driving, then when I'd floor it, it'd bog and choke and once full boost came on then suddenly it would just GO. Ran fantastic once boost hit, so I'm doubting that's the problem for you.