HybridZ

Suspension question, but not really tech, re: warranties

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

I'm just wondering... about the warranties offered on some of my suspension parts, eibach pro kit springs and tokico struts.... the eibachs I think are million mile warrantied, and the tokico's are lifetime.

This baffles me... I mean... I would never consider suspension parts as parts that would be lifetime parts, you know? Dont suspensions tend to wear out after 5 or 10 years? Hell the suspension on my '81 ZX, which I always used Suspension Techniques springs, and KYB struts, had to be replaced TWICE in a 6 year period.

I'm just wondering how companies like eibach and tokico can really warranty their products like this? I mean... can I reasonably expect my suspension parts to last the life of the vehicle like this? Or are they just that happy to offer replacements for free every few years?

Has anyone here worn out suspension products from these companies or any other companies that offer such warranties? How did the company handle your warranty claim?

Kinda on a side note... I REALLY don't understand how so many companies can also offer such warranties on guaranteed high wear items like brake pads...

The companies offer the warranties because nobody takes them up on it.

I warrantied a Tokico strut and they were pretty particular. I had to give a copy of the original receipt and get a return number. When the strut blew I sent it to them and they refused it. When I got it back I called, then I got a specific set of instructions on how to return it for warranty work.

Guest bastaad525

Yeah I figure it would be a procedure like that, needing a Return Authorization Number from them before even sending it. I do still have my original sales reciept... have kept all receipts for anything bought or done on the Z.

So they don't make it easy... no surprise there. But at least they did replace it, which I half expected them not to.

Where I work they have those warranties and really compared to how many parts go out the door I get very little back. Lots of times guys just get bored and want something to do so they bring things back and say they are worn out or don't work anymore. Very annoying from my stand point but, hey it's a living.

I don't think they make it hard. I know when I buy things like starters and brake pads I alway put the receipts someplace "safe". But after even 5 or 6 years who can find the darn things? Easier to just drop $20 on new pads.

But most warranties are for the part only. A lifetime warranty on brake pads or muffler from Midas is pure gold to them. You come in to get the $16 muffler replaced, and end up paying $600 to replace the rest of the exhaust system and the labor to put it in. And if your car is on it's second set of brake pads, then you almost certainly will need some other front end parts or suspension/driveline work.

Pure gold. Sort of like giving someone a $20 gift certificate toward the purchase of a new Cadillac.

Also see if the warranties are pro rated. Tire warranties are virtually worthless. I tried to use them when the tread separated on my Firestore tires and they wanted to give me a whole $20 credit toward the purchase of my next set of tires. Bought Michellins instead.

I had a warranty on Midas Gold muffler, i had an annoying clunking noise at the rear of the car and thought it was the tailpipe. So being a hi-tech precision mechanic that i am i started kicking the tailpipe and bending it down and it snapped off the muffler. Went to Midas and got a free replacement and the clunking noise was still there. Turned out to be Sears lousy shocks doing the noise and had them replaced under their warranty too. I would've replaced my alternator under warranty too but Gateway Auto Supply went out of business and got replaced by O'Reilys Hi price Lo quality. :shock: If only Metrinch had a local store so i would'nt have to spend ten bucks to get my stuff replaced. :wink:

Yup with these quick lube places, its all about getting you in their doors. We used to have oil changes priced at $24.95 @ the dodge dealer I work at. Now who is going to pay $24.95 for an oil change when they can get it done down at Midas for $9.95? Now granted the MOPAR oil filter is way better than the Pennzoil oil filter but not $15.00 better! We now lowered our oil change price to $9.95 also but we also switched to a Pennzoil filter. We also still have a $16.95 oil change that you can get with a MOPAR filter. We are not making a single dime on those oil changes regaurdless of which one they get. A Pennzoil filter is $2, oil is $10, and labor to do it is "$18.95"(thats what .3 hours @ our GRID rate is at our shop) So no way no how are we making any money off those oil changes.........however if say we get your car into our stall I can gaurantee we will find something to "upsell" to you. There is always something leaking or something loose on your vehicle that could be repaired. Its just up to you if you want it repaired. Im not saying that if you bring a car in for an oil change your going to need something repaired but the dealership is banking on the fact that there is something tht needs fixing.

Guy