HybridZ

Adjustable front control arms...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting how my reply to Mike went up there...must be a new function of the "quote" button.

Anyway Jon, I the link didn't work. I went back the root server directory but couldn't find the part. I just call it a "j-arm"!

http://www.stockcarproducts.com/susp2a.htm

No picture but there's a pic on pg 39 of their catalog.

Re-searched Afco and saw the assemblies $37 complete!!! WTF? That aluminum tube would need to be replaced I bet...and the rod ends are medium duty.

74_5.0L_Z,

I noticed you used the swaged tube, aren't those weaker than a straight tube?

So...back to the topic of control arms, where do I get a 3/4" turnbuckle?

Owen

Owen, The Jbars COME threaded already...

Yep, about 3" of thread IIRC, So you wouldn't have 74_5.0L_Z's problem...

Did a little searching. Check this out: http://www.secureperformanceorder.com/afcostore/getproduct.cfm?CategoryID=8&ClassID=115&SubclassID=533&ProductID=731

FWIW I'd never heard it called a J bar before this post. Was always a strut rod end to me. That AFCO page doesn't say what size it is, but I'd guess 3/4". You might be able to measure the TC rod and buy a completed "strut rod" and then only need to make a clevis to mount it in the back. For CHEAP.

Also the other end needs to be cut and new holes drilled to fit a Z. The existing holes were in the wrong place on mine so the guy who made them welded up the existing holes, then drilled the new ones to fit my car.

This definitely looks like it could be a do it yourself thing with this already completed strut rod.

Just be forewarned with the aluminum tubing. We bent those on our very first event at MSA, which was a bit embarassing for me, since we hadn't fully tested them yet and wanted a "Bling" factor for the car... Big Mistake. I'd opt for steel or steel swagged, although Jon seems to have been able to make them live... I know Ian and Steve killed those on slicks in an autoX...

Mike

Mike I thought your failure was using 5/8" aluminum. The 3/4" are a lot bigger.

I got some pics, but I can't seem to get them uploaded to the album area. I'll try emailing you Owen.

I like the old system better where you could actually SEE the other guy's email address...