HybridZ

SKS or Enfield?

auxilary

Maybe I'm just biased towards Enfields because I have one, I think everyone should have one :twisted: The one thing that stands out for me with this rifle is the way it just naturally points to what you want to shoot at once you shoulder it, theres very little searching for the target once you get it up there. The SKS's I've shot didn't nearly have the same feel to them, although I can't really find anything negative to say about them either (other than the already mentioned "wandering zero" when they heat up). My No4 Mk1 consistently shoots in the 1.5"-2" range at 100 yds, not exactly benchrest quality, but comparable to most modern production hunting rifles.

index.cfm?p=gi&i=5577&r=5197&t=reg

Wow we have gun people here too :D

Before I caught the car bug, I was a dedicated gun nut. I have both the SKS and Lee-Enfield, plus some others.

You kinda make the choice depend on what you want to do. SKS will give you the kind of fun that everybody appreciates: wife, kids, friends....Basically you pick up the gun and blast it away. It's best used with reactive targets like rotten fruit or steel gong that rings.

Our club hosts "pumpkin shoot" before Halloween, and the SKS really shine through, everybody expected the pumpkins to explode when shot with .50 cals or shotguns, but the SKS out-do them all. The pumpkins literally exploded into pieces. I guess it has something to do with the ammo, I used Norinco soft points(green steel shell with a softpoint tip on the bullet). Copper washed FMJ style ammo won't have the same effect.

#4MK1 is the slow, quiet type, with milsurp ammo it won't be much more accurate, but with handloading it can do better. It takes some getting used to because the gun cocks on closing. Here in Canada you see a lot of Lee-Enfields, every old man has one. Heck, I am not old and I have one....Mine is all matching, minty condition, I just love looking at it.

KP

We did a group buy of Norinco SKS in the mid-90's (a couple crates) - They are fun, but not very accurate. They are cheap to rock-n-roll with. I sold mine when the novelty wore off. I was left an Enfield by my grandfather, and I shoot it once in a while. My main playtoy is a .308 Model 88 lever with a bipod and 3-9 variable. Also cheap shooting.

For plinking, I built up a Ruger 10-22 with a stainless bull barrel and composite stock. Nice balance now and more accurate for target with the added weight of the barrel. First gun I owned (at 12) and I won't sell it ever. I can't count the bricks of .22 that have been through it.

I guess it depends on what style of plinking you what to do...

Doug

While I have enjoyed firing both the enfield and the SKS, I moved up from the standard .22 rifle to a Mauser M48 8mm when I was 15. I had it customized after getting my first job and continued to use it for deer hunting until I left for overseas. I sold it in 1974 to help pay for my first "new" car, a 260Z. I had had it shipped to me in pieces during the southeast asian wargames and it proved to be a very useful and reliable weapon. Years later I regetted the sale of it but have since purchased a lovely 7mm Remington that I think is more than the equal to the Mauser due to its' flat trajectory. With it's composite stock it would have been right at home in the jungle...