HybridZ

any other trans than a t56 or t5

gexgexgexgex

Doug Nash (now Richmond gear) 5-speed.

First gear is deep (3.27:1), fifth gear is 1:1, so there is no overdrive. With a numerically small rear end ratio, this might be a good choice. I’m running this transmission behind a 454 (big block Chevy). Bellhousing pattern is the same, I believe, as a Muncie 4-speed; tailshaft splines are the same as TH400.

This is considered to be a good choice for drag racing. It’s reputed to be a strong as anything this side of a Lenco. But, shifting is notchy and the lack of overdrive presents problems in street driving.

They’re pricey new (about $2000 with the shifter), but used examples can be relatively cheap; mine was $750.

Another mixed blessing is the external shift linkage. Good, in the sense that you can move the shifter location around to custom-fit for a particular installation; bad, in the sense that transmission tunnel widening is required. In a 280Z you need to cut and reweld the tunnel (hammering is not enough).