HybridZ

Air ride suspension

Never heard of anyone doing it.. but it would be possible for sure.. it'd make it more of a show car though.. I can't see how adding 100+ pounds of 'stuf' would be a performance improvement really.. I think between adjustable swaybar endlinks, bushings kits, coilovers and adjustable struts, there is plenty of 'adjustment' for ride/comfort that you can put in a Z.. 6" of suspension travel up and down might be kinda cool though.. :lol: hopin' Z.. heh..

id be more interested in tien's new adjustable suspension system, its worth a look.

got a link?

Matt:

I don't think adding air bags and a small compressor would add all that much weight considering the weight of the removed springs. I'm not sure if the handling would be all that great...but it sure would look good parked on the frame rails.

Well I was jut thinking of all the 'incidentals' that go with having bags and wanting adjustability (I am contemplating an air ride conversion in my 2wd truck in the spring.. maybe..) just a small compressor and no tank.. that will work, but be reeeeealy slow to pump up 4 bags.. Maybe it woudn't be 100 pounds, but IMO for what mclark is looking for (quicker adjustment, on the fly..) he'd need; 4 bags, all the fitings, air lines, valves/switches, compressor, small air tank.. it all adds up..

You can get what are called 'strut bags' now that basicaly replace the coil spring (an air bag with a hole down the center) but they are really pricey.. the other route is the 'normal' air bags (cheaper) but then you add some more weight from brackets/ect that you'd have to fab and attach to the car.

btw.. how are ya Glenn? :lol: havn't seen you post in a while.. :)

btw.. how are ya Glenn? :lol: havn't seen you post in a while.. :)

Not much in the way of cars. Just hanging out with the family.

I had an old Riviera that had an air system. It consisted of air shocks a load leveller and a very small compressor. Very light.

After you add some bags with the hole and some switches...it should still be light. The Riv only took 10 to 15 seconds to adjust to a heavy load.

• 2 months later...

Your best bet would be to contact the manufacturers. I'm guessing you'd only need a perch and the proper diameter? There's other systems out there too, one that is a cyclinder with one side open and the "closed" side moves up and down. Think of it as your upper perches/strut locators being height adjustable.

The company was Roberuta and when I searched last year, there was no info on it. Just saw a mag advertisement.

Owen

id be more interested in tien's new adjustable suspension system, its worth a look.

Is that the one that has the threaded lower section, in addition to the normal collar adjustment for the spring. Great idea...get the piston to insert adjusted for proper travel and then be able to adjust your ride height without effecting the piston to insert relation....outstanding design. A buddy of mine just put a set on all four corners of his STI. Damn, why didn't I think of that one?

Is that the one that has the threaded lower section, in addition to the normal collar adjustment for the spring. Great idea...get the piston to insert adjusted for proper travel and then be able to adjust your ride height without effecting the piston to insert relation....outstanding design. A buddy of mine just put a set on all four corners of his STI. Damn, why didn't I think of that one?

That's a fully adjustable coilover system, works as you described. The Tein system involves an electric motor which rotates the "hardness" setting of the shocks. Something like the active suspension found in Z32s, RX7s, etc.

Owen

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a suspension shop and do air suspensions, soooooo here is my input on it all.. I would not put air on a Z style suspension if you plan on driving it hard.

The only company right now that makes a decnet air strut is Air Lift Technolgies. (eazy street) The reason is they still use a actual strut for support while other companies do not. So far i've had good luck with them on Hondas and other imports. They do not provide much lift, but "could" work.

Air Ride Technolgies, look the best, but fail if you plan on driving them on a daily basis. I've removed them from many trucks and used them to kick around the shop. The only reason i'd ever use them is on a full show vehicle and not plan on driving much at all. (on off a trailer, perhaps 1-2 times a month, etc)

The truckin web site is the worse company out there, they will lie to get your buisness and bend you over if you try and return stuff. I have delt with them (not in the last 8 years though) and have had customers try and deal with them. Now if a customer brings me their kit I charge more than if they bring me nothing. The quality sucks REALLY bad. The owner of the company is a big time doushe bag. I would beat the ♥♥♥♥ out of him if I ever meet him. They are also known as Chassis Tech, Aim Industries, and about a dozen other names.

Couple of ideas....

I do someday want to build a bagged first gen Z, but i'd build a full frame, upper lower front control arms, with probally a second gen RX7 rear.

Also if someone just "HAD" to have the standard strut suspension.... front i'd probally try and find room and mount air springs somewhere in front or behind the front suspension and run a bell crank to the LCA. the front unibody would have to be substantually reinforced in the general area. Rear do something similar but put the air springs inside and have them push against each others and build a mount to to the upper strut towers for reinforcement.

Its 4:50am, i'm tired, hope i didn't bore anyone.....

One of my favorite pics, me towing my Z with my bagged 1-ton. (which is ALLOT lower now than it was then in the pic.

DCP_1230.jpg