HybridZ

Coilover question!!!

Guest V8Z

HI, I'm in the middle of installing coilover new struts and five lug conversion on my 240z. My question is on the coilovers what holds the threaded sleeve to the strut housing? It's not as tight of a fit as I thought it would be. Is there set screws that needs to be added or does the weight of the car alone hold the sleeve in place? Thanks for your time.

The weld-on washer locates it up and down, and the Ground-control kits came with a rubber O-ring that kind-of centers the sleeve on the strut.

The last time I had mine apart, I tried something different that worked very well but sounds cheesy: I wrapped the strut housing with evenly applied layers of 2" wide electical tape until the sleeve would just barely slip on. This works much better than the O-ring. I kept all of the wraps of tape under the sleeve so that it isn't visible.

I used the silicone on the strut housing and that works pretty good. That just seems to easy. You would think there is some kind of set screws or adhesive that would insure the sleeve not to move up and down. Thanks for all the input!!!!!

I wrapped the strut housing with evenly applied layers of 2" wide electical tape until the sleeve would just barely slip on. This works much better than the O-ring. I kept all of the wraps of tape under the sleeve so that it isn't visible.

You aren't worried about trapping moisture and the resultant rust?

When I put my coilovers on I tack welded a little bump on the shoulder then filed a small notch in the sleeve to keep it from turning. I then put a small piece of duct tape on the strut which was enough to wedge the sleeve tight. I can crank the coilovers up or down with no problem of the sleeve slipping. Now, if I can just get the rest of project done I can test the setup on the road :D.

- Joe