HybridZ

Cool Air Induction on Turbo?

SHO-Z

I was looking at a friends 67 Z28 Stock Eliminator Drag car and was discussing the cowl induction set up that was available on that year. After some research we came up with about a possible 10% performace increase with the cowl induction.

I keep seeing pictures of turbo set ups with the air cleaner under the hood. It can be assumed that the temperature under the hood is around 150 F. You are starting with about a 10% loss in air density between outside air and the air under the hood. The air going to and from the intercooler will be at a higher temperature. If the air intake is taken in front the radiator there should be a measurable performance increase. Plus with this set up you can design in some positive pressure on the intake at speed.

I keep seeing pictures of turbo set ups with the air cleaner under the hood. It can be assumed that the temperature under the hood is around 150 F. You are starting with about a 10% loss in air density between outside air and the air under the hood. The air going to and from the intercooler will be at a higher temperature. If the air intake is taken in front the radiator there should be a measurable performance increase. Plus with this set up you can design in some positive pressure on the intake at speed.

I think you're right. I do have my air cleaner under the hood' date=' but not by choice:

[img']http://www.brewpubzone.com/images/240ZTurbo/lowres/engine_ds2.jpg[/img]

I have not found a way to run the air filter in front of the intercooler, without doing some major cutting. So far I have not cut into the stock body at all, and I am trying to keep it that way.

I did do some interesting tests with a thermocouple. Turns out that when the car is in motion, the underhood air is pretty close to outside temperature. It's at idle when the underhood temps shoot up.

Sean

73 240Z Turbo

• 1 month later...

Hi,

i am resurecting this post as I have been wondering about the exact same issue, which I will have to deal with myself in my 240Z pretty soon.

I am not happy with the idea of the filter being under the hood, nor do I want to cut in my stock bodywork either.

At present i have no intercooler and my cold air induction pipe goes through the hole in the radiator support frame and the filter sits happily outside the engine bay.

I was thinking of keeping that set up as is and when I fit the intercooler I will get one with both inlet/outlet on the same side then run the Intercooler piping under the radiator sub frame.

What do you all think? I think it would be more important to have the Cold air induction placed in the best place (outside the engine bay) as this will give the Intercooler less work in reducing less temperatures.

Anyone else agree and why havent more people done it this way?

Thank you.

I agree.. getting the filter outside of the engine bay will help for sure. ALthough mine is still under the hood.. THe reason for this is basically time and money. I will eventually figure something out to get the filter out in front.. but it is going to take some mandrel bends, welding and maybe some cutting on my Z. so kinda reluctant.. I was thinking about cutting a hole in the wheel well and then run the intake tube down and up in front. I still have my AC in my Z so running it through where my IC pipeing is going to be tough.. Here is a pic how I have it now.

8527DSC00106-med.JPG

If you remove that blue air filter in the pic above, you should be able to run an intake tube down towards the road and then you can either put the filter down there or loop the tube back up into the wheel well as I did.

http://hvmp.com/dc/CIA1.jpg

http://hvmp.com/dc/CIA2.jpg

Of course I am not using the splash pan right now.

If you remove that blue air filter in the pic above' date=' you should be able to run an intake tube down towards the road and then you can either put the filter down there or loop the tube back up into the wheel well as I did.

http://hvmp.com/dc/CIA1.jpg

http://hvmp.com/dc/CIA2.jpg

Of course I am not using the splash pan right now.[/quote']

I see how you have yours set up.. but I would rather have hard pipes there. I would be scared that pipeing would crush during higher boost.but need concept.

That tubing I used is VERY hard. It has a very smooth internal surface also, the outside corrugation is not on the inside. It is not dryer duct. There is no way that pipe is collapsing under vacuum. It is just a matter of choosing the right stuff for your application. Metal would be nice. Just more difficult to do with my limited metal working tools.

http://www.mcmaster.com has tons of tubing choices with specs.

Mine is staying under the bonnet for several reasons.

One, with a shield and air feeding in through one of the stock radiator support panel holes it will get cool air with the car moving. Two, it is protected from most rain, etc, there. Three, it is more important to give priority to intercooler location, piping runs, etc.

Trying to use the inside mudguard area for location or feed is inefficient, in there it is a low air pressure area.

True about the low pressure behind the front spoiler except for the fact that the spoiler I use has a vent that directs air into the general area where I located the air filter. I should use it for brake cooling but...I just ordered the Arizona vented brake kit all around. One other point, I don't drive the Z in the rain.