HybridZ

few quick questions

Guest ON3GO

Ok hey guys, few questions.

Is there a Buyers list for whats needed to make a Megasquirt and or MSnS unit work correctly on our L28ET Z's?

like what Dizzy to use, what TPS to run and etc..?

i know everybody has different parts on there car but i thought i would ask.

Now im looking at a pre-built system and from what i was told from a few members is i wont have to open the system up to add or take away parts in the box to make it work for my Z.

but with those pre-built systems do i have to buy any other parts offered by those companys to make the system work?

Now do i need to run any type of Ignition Control units with a MegaSquirt or MSnS? like a MSD or what not?

is there a speical Dizzy we need to run?

now i have a MSD 6-BTM unit, it It automatically adjusts the spark timing based on how much boost pressure is being produced. The spark timing retard can be adjusted from 0° per pound of boost, with a maximum retard of 15°. Now with this wouldnt all i need is the Megasquirt fuel only computer?? or no?

If i do need a Ignition unit like a MSD but cant use the BTM, then why is that?

trying to find the smartest, fastest way to do this to my blue Z, plus i dont want to buy parts of any kind i dont need.. no money or time for that.

thanks

mike

P.S. reason for this system for my is because im using the 77ecu and dizzy, and harness on my L28ET and even though it works, i want something better. i want more then 10mpg then i use to get and dont wanna run pig rich ALL the time.

anything..?

ive been reading the manual but im still stuck on those questions.

ready threw the sticky too, thank god i can use windows XP cuz thats all i have on my laptop. just need to get the adapter.

any help would be great.

mike

im not running the 280zx turbo EFI...

im just using my stock 77 280z ecu and etc.

the AFM i have is tuned to work for this type of setup but with this setup you can either get it to run great on boost and crappy off boost..

or great off boost but bad on boost power.

i got very bad gas mileage.. as i had it to run great on boost (which it did).

im just trying now to get it overall in great running shape, i have a new motor, lots of new parts and now a electronic boost controller.

i just want to make it reliable, get better gas mileage, and way better performance.

its just that im still lost on this whole setup.

mike

it idled great, its got a turbo afm.

its just the ecu, i know it is, thats why i want megasquirt.

im just lost on what to get to make it it run, im sure install wont be SO bad, but im lost on everything before installing it i guess.

mike

I would start with a fuel only install and then switch to fuel+spark after you have it running and tuned.

I very simple install would keep the AFM and only require a new TPS, O2 sensor, and a vacuum line to the built in MAP sensor. If you ditch the AFM, you will need a new MAT sensor and will have to rewire the fuel pump relay.

You can splice into the stock harness, or make a new one. Most of the wires you need are in the stock harness, except for TPS and O2.

I used a TPS from a `85 200SX Turbo. I think others have used a TPS from a 240SX.

Don

well i know i want megasquirt but im still confused on what to buy.

im gonna get a pre-made one right now..

wish this stuff wasnt so confusing lol.

now i just gotta figure out what else i need lol.

mike

I wanted to copy these questions out of private mail for other interested people to see. These are some good basic questions about MegaSquirt:

Ok im about to order a pre made unit..

BUT if i get a MSnS unit do i have to use the Spark part to make it work?

im really confused as if i can use my MSD 6-BTM unit with it.. or what i need to buy in parts to make my car run.

do i need the 280zxt dizzy? can i use my reg old 1977 280z dizzy?

is megatune cost money?

im also going to use my MSD blaster 2 coil' date=' so with MSnS would i need the balist resistor?

i have the 240sx t-body with tps but i dont have a JSK adpter for it, its just on my N42 intake manifold that i ported to make it fit..

do i need a IAC sensor?

am i forgetting anything at all?

reading the manual and your wiring diagrams it doesnt seem to hard to install, im sure ill have questions on that when the time comes though.

really im just lost on what parts other then the pre-made system i need to buy, and like do i remove my old wiring harness? and or just splice wires into the MSnS system.

sorry, im just feeling very stupid about this topic.

mike[/quote']

No problem with the questions, but remember this, Megasuirt and MSnS and MSnS_Extra is the same hardware. IF you want MSnS you just install that software code onto the unit, otherwise install straight MS software, etc. That is the beauty of it, same hardware for fuel control only or fuel and ignition.

All the support and software for Megasuirt is free, that is the other great part. It is an open source project. You buy the hardware and then pick what software you want to run, there is MegaTune and there is also visual log viewer like you see in the datalogging post.

MSnS was made because some guys said hey we don't need dual table control on 90% of the cars running around so lets use that second table for ignition control. And since it is open source and a bunch of great guys doing the work, they support it all.

SO you can use fuel only if you want, just use regular MS code. You'll have to check on the groups to see what is the newest version to use. THat stuff is all easy to find and download from msefi.com

You have to use a dizzy that is locked down if you use the ignition control in MSnS. But if you only do fuel control then you can leave your ignition like it is now. Megasuirt will only pick up a signal from the coil as an rpm trigger for fuel control.

The ballast resistor was for points only if I recall. So if you are using any kind of electronic ignition you can ditch that???

You will need the GM intake air temp sensor, like $15. I still have mine mounted in the j-pipe just before the TB.

You will have a wiring harness from the megasuirt box that goes to a realy box in your engine compartment(if you by the relay box). From there you have to wire in your senors, injectors, fuel pump, etc to the relay box. You will also need a dropping resistor pack if your injectors are low impedance.

am i forgetting anything at all?

probably, but thats what makes it fun :) heh heh heh

I used two Water Temperature Sensors for Datsun, and simply altered the tables using ET4D utility like mentioned in the Megasquirt Sticky from Moby.

I installed the seecond temp sensor behind the throttle body inline with the throttle shaft so it's not impeding airfolw anymore than the TB shaft is. The spacer for the SX TB is a great place to mount stuff like that. I would have mounted it in the cold start injector position, but that's where the idle speed control air bypasses the throttle body now... he he he

I second what Moby said, save to mention he has a sticky that details it all pretty well thanks to contributions from those of us experimenting with the system on our cars.

ok well im off to buy a pre-made unit right now.. going to use the people that Basstard posted about, prob gonna get the sensors at autozone or whatever.

370cc injectors will be installed along with the MSnS and ill just use my MSD 6-BTM as a ignition box. also ill do what Thumper did on this site and redo my fuel pump wiring on my Walbro 255lph pump.

i pick up my 60mm t-body tomorrow and get that put on..

any clue how long it takes for them to build ya a unit?

should i get anything else from that site while im at it?

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=96651

mike

crap.. on there site it says this..

Note: Due to the vast array of different ignition system configurations out there, MegaSquirtnSpark (control of distributor-based ignition systems) is not available from us at this time. If you'd like to do the hardware modifications yourself, please purchase the unmodified MegaSquirt, and specify the MSnS Extra software. Instructions for performing the appropriate hardware modifications can be found here.

does that mean i cant use the Spark part then??

mike

All it means is that if you want to use the MS-n-S EXTRA code, you will have to order the unmodified box, and then installe the jumpers yourself to enable the features you want.

Apparently the MS-n-S is not being loaded by them as they see the Extra as the way most people will go.

You may still be able to get the MS-n-S Download from the Yahoo site Magnus set up---where all of us origianlly got it.

I just went to the http://www.msefi.com site, and checked out the MS-n-S Extra forum post, and looked it over. Doesn't look that bad to make the hardware changes. I will probably go to Extra since it will possibly allow me to reconnect that stock Nissan Knock Sensor into the circuit, and allow for some other features that looked interesting, but weren't really "necessary" to my application, but would help with making is into a monster (here we go with another car 'for the wife' that ends up being 350+hp and a bit hard-edged for her... bummer!)