HybridZ

does megasquirt and megasquirt and spark...

gexgexgexgex

does megasquirt and megasquirt and spark have the same hardware but just different software,

i had just asked a similar question but didnt really get a clear answer. i want magasquirt and spark but i can only find the regular megasquirt, so what i want to do is just update the software and loos the fast idle control and just have ignition instead. the only reason i ask is because i read the installation guide i found here and i confussed me a little

"When you build MS add a 2 pin header at location H1, the boot header. This will allow you to easily use a 2 pin shunt(like on PC motherboards) to download new code to your MS hardware." does this mean that i need to mod a normal megasquirt board like the one i found at rs motor sports.

i really need help b/c for xmas i got money to buy the megasquirt and now i and unsure if i can still buy it or not for what i need, all i need is a computer to control my l28et engine in my 240z and megasquirt and spark looked like the best way to do it.

I have been running ms&s for about a year now and it runs great. If you want to run megasquirt&spark you will have to upload new software to the processor. to upload new software to the megasquirt processor you have to insert a jumper on these two pins (H1). I have put a small switch on H1. This way I can quickly switch to regular mode or bootloader mode.

does this mean that i need to mod a normal megasquirt board like the one i found at rs motor sports

It depents on the how the board was built. But anyway, if you can hold a soldering iron you can easily modify it yourself.

And If you are a little bit more adventures you can add a little board and get two programmable outputs. this way you can get back the idle air and program the other channel as a boost limiter.

wow thank you very much for your info, so i believe that i can hold an iron so i will try and install the jumper my self. what i need is how do i install the jumper, this will be my first time doing anything like this and i would like something like a picture or something showing what i need to do. also if u have an aol or yahoo instant messenger screen name i would love to talk to you in real time. or if we could just email that would be cool too my emai is richardsebay@yahoo.com

I actually have a little jumper of springy wire and yellow insulation taped inside the cover of the MS, and just stick it in the two jumper holes while bootloading.Unless you are loading stuff continuallyu like some of the developers, a switch may be unrequired expense.

The first box where I was continually loading stuff I had installed a switch, but when it went "poof" I just taped a jumper inside for if I need it!