HybridZ

It really helps when you know HOW to use the tool!

Mikelly

SO I'd had some issues with bolting on my FLuidamper on my 383 stroker.. Never could get it to seat with Pete's tool, and I broke TWO of my own... So today I pulled the timing cover off and took a look at things... And got out my NEW crank tool, which was like the Proform balancer install tool i previously broke... Interesting thing about the tool... if you allow the tool to bottom out, it will put undue stress on the threads and snap it... So this time I installed the balancer without bottoming it, holding it back with a wrench as I turned the bearing portion with the larger nut on the tool... BINGO!

So now I need a waterpump/ TC gasket set and I'll have the front of the motor back together...While I was at it, I figured I'd re-route the fuel rail regulator so it wouldn't HIT my new hand formed valve covers...

I'm not awaiting the Gforce tranny, then I'll assemble it and the clutch kit with the Lakewood bellhousing, heat and bend the headers to clear my Canton pan, and ready everything for the install...

Making progress!

Mike

Yup, it's amazing how easy it is to break the threaded insert. I had my machinist make me two out of tool steel. You really have to watch and "feel" it for the slightest resistance or it'll break. Also put some silicone sealer on the shaft and keyway so it won't seep oil over time.

David

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to have problems with these things. I bought one of the those Proform tools to use on my LT1 balancer install and found it would not work at all, the stub is to short to reach when the hub is not already installed.

Anyway I ended up having to use 2 longer bolts to get the damn thing on.

Wheelman

I have the Moroso version of the harmonic balancer install tool. I have used it 4 times now and have not had any issues. I also never paid attention to how I used it, and whether it bottomed out or anything. Maybe I am just lucky, maybe it is a better tool?

I have not been all that impressed with Pro-Form tools (I do have one of their ring gap grinders).

Joshua