HybridZ

Do I modify the seal????

Guest V8Z

I'm installing 300zx hubs on the front of my 240z, and since I know this has been done thousands of times by now maybe someone can quickly help me out. I read in the search on this matter that the bearings are the same from 240z to 300zx. I also read that the seals are to be used from the 300zx, But i seen a few post were peaple are modifing the seals. I put everything together and tried to assemble but the seal will not slip over the spot were it is suppost to rest. I went ahead and tighten the spindle nut and it pulled the seal up on to the correct spot but then the wheel would not free spin. So, am I suppost to modify the seal in some way?? Thanks

I think you may need to just back off the nut a little.. you're talking about the 'castle nut' when you say spindle nut right? (has a bunch of slots on one side for locking it with a cotter pin, through that hole in the spindle) Or does the seal fall out of place when you loosen it?

Yes I mean the castle nut. Is there a torque for that nut? As far as the seal falling out of place, I tapped on it with a dead blow hammer and a drift into the hub so it pretty much isn't moving. I don't want to sound like a complete dummy but can the seal be installed backwards? I looked at it and it looks impossible to installed but one way.

I ussually try to tighten it up (any car really that usses a similar setup) till the wheel gets a bit hard to free spin, and then back it off a bit. IIRC, you want a bit of 'play' in there, as the bearings get hot while driving and expand slightly. I use a metric adjustable :wink: and the weight of it is usualy just enough to snug the nut properly.

I have never used a spring scale to set bearing preload. I was told that it was very important when I did my old SII land rover swb, but I have always tightened them by hand, then done the 12 oclock/6 oclock shake and tightened in very small increments until I felt no play. I never overtighten then back off. I have never had any problems with wheel bearings...ever.

Although it is easier to do this before the calipers are back on, it doesn't really matter....a slightly loose bearing is better than an overly tight one IMHO, although just right is best :wink:

Tim

I wouldn't even worry about this if the seal would slip up on the spot were it is suppost to rest. Off the hub the seal will slide on the wrong direction but if I turn it around the right direction it will not slipe up on the rest. Maybe it doesn't sit up on the rest? Anyways I will give it another try tonight. Thanks for the help!

O.k., I swear I'm a ASE master cert. mechanic, but I have never seen such a weird looking seal. After pondering the seal for a while I notice the spring in the seal was on the OUTSIDE of the hub and all the seals I have ever installed had the tension spring in the INSIDE of the seal. So I flip the seal over and it doesn't drive in the hub like I expected but it fits the spindle much better. I tighten everything up and it works great! So long story short, I had the seal in backwards!! If you install the seal backwards you can actually tap it into place and it will seat itself but will not fit up on the spindle at all., as for if you install it in the right direction it kinda just sits there on the hub somewhat loosely, but slides right up on the spindle.