HybridZ

Manual or electric boost controller?

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

Hey gang, I'm looking for a boost controller for my rb26 240Z. What's the best bang for the buck? Which electric boost controller is easiest to use? Pro's and Con's either way?

Guest 81na ZX

Bang for buck: Ball and Spring MBC. My DSM runs on $3 of hardware store goodies. And it holds a rock solid 24psi.

Pros: cheap, accurate, easy to use, no spiking, 100x better in every respect than a bleeder valve.

Cons: boost settings can change with weather.

Easiest to use EBC: GReddy Profec B. Its also one of the cheapest.

Pros: cheaper than most EBCs, scramble boost button (2nd, higher boost preset), can accomodate weather changes.

Cons: about $200 more than a nice MBC or $300 over a home made one. Slower reacting than a MBC.

Guest JAMIE T

I am definately going with an EBC. I mean, this is an RB26, high tech all the way. No offense to you 81NA ZX.

Stony recommended the EVC, probably HKS. I'd like to spend under $250 for a boost controller. More opinions?

Who should I buy one from and how much should I expect to spend, used is OK as long as it is in excellent condition.

Jamie if looking for a good priced and awesome/simple working EBC i say get the GReddy Profec B..

its the older model one but everybody swears by them, and everytime i talk to a good tuner in person or on the net they always say its there fav to use.

its looks like this..

849_p30081.jpg

you can get them in different colors, i got mine used for 130 :) a very killer deal, look on ebay you can find great deals.

mike

The boost spike and creep also depends on what kind of WG setup you have. I was running stock 16G setup with 18% gain on the Biltz and no spike, bam, 19psi to the redline. now with custom 50 trim with larger gate and different WG actator, I get 2-3psi spike with 18% gain. With 10% gain it's in the 1psi spike. Also doesn't like to hold much higher than 25-26psi on mine. Don't know the reason yet.

The Turbosmart E-boost that you linked has a nice feature:

"Programmable gate pressure function to totally eliminate wastegate creep - you tell the wastegate when to open"

Does the other electronic boost controllers have this feature as well? If not, that make's some of the extra money it costs worth it.

I have personally bought a Greddy Profec B2. The new modell. Bought it new of ebay for 220$ I think. Anyone knows if this has this feature, so that wastegate creep is eliminated? HOPE SO! :-)

Also, anyone have any experience using this as a boost gauge as well? That way I would save money on not having to buy a boost gauge, and would have less gauges to worry about placement for.

Guest JAMIE T

I got an APEXi AVC-R. I got if for just under $300 bucks used. Probably not a steller deal, but cheaper than $470 retail. At the same time I bought a buddy an APEXi V-AFC for his LS/VTEC swapped '91 Civic Si hatch. I got that for $177 which I thought was a good deal.

Now if I could just get that freakin engine to show up! Alaska is a LONG way from VA. I just hope the dog sled it shipped out on is safe.