HybridZ

Roll Cage Suggestions

Hey Guys,

Im almost done getting the floor pans, subframe connectors, and front rails done on my car. And I need to start looking into cages. Heres a link to my car and what I've been doing:

http://www.geocities.com/projectzt

Im looking for any suggestions on what type of cage and where to get it from. Ive looked at the S&W cages, Autopower, and going custom. S&W is really cheap and I have a welder and the nessacary stuff to install it but Im alittle worried about quality. Autopower is expensive and would be almost as much as a custom cage, I also cant find any pictures of either one of these cages in Zs. If you've got a cage in yours or have some pics of one please send them to me or post a link or something here, that would be awesome.

My other problem is at first I was looking into a full cage but got to thinking about the safety of the front tubes in a crash on the street which will be where alot of my dirving will be. When I wrecked my first Z I hit the top of the door really hard and I prolly would have been kocked out if there was a cage there. So Im considering going with a half cage. Please opinions and suggestions!!

-Austin

If most of your driving is on the street just put a roll bar in it. If you really want a cage, come by my house and see mine. Also I know a NASCAR fabricator that does a sweet cage at a great deal. He just did my buddy's M3 for under a grand. 6pt cage with door bars. All tig welded. I'm just north of charlotte.

Mark

Hey thanks for the reply's

john that bar in the 72 z looks awesome, I think that would be most practical for my application. I have the autopower "scca" legal roll bar now but its kinda small and just bolts to the fender wells. I figure I could work with in and add some to it we will see. Thanks for the pictures!

-Austin

I'd recommend taking Mark's advice and having a 4-6 point unit welded in. Having one custom made to contour to the inside of the car is best. we are welding a unit (Actually almost done!) into Jim's Scarab and using 1 5/8th .095 wall cromoly tubing and the tubing is simply amazing how light weight it is when compared to DOM... and this unit will accomodate wide racing seats AND will move the forward down tubes to the front a pillar nicely... of course to get that tight a fit you'll need to remove the dash!

Mine's next!

Mike