HybridZ

sandblasting cost

Guest zmettler

I had my '48 Willys CJ2A sandblasted and it cost $200. I thought that was a bit expensive. I came out very rough, sandblasting is very hard on metal. It is a good thing that the bodies on those old jeeps is thicker than modern stuff.

You should look into having it blasted with some other material....glass beads, walnut shells, baking soda ???? anything but sand.

I live in a small town and my only choice was sand blasting for my jeep - I would never take my car there to have it done, the metal on the car is too thin.

I was quoted between $500 and $700 to have my car media blasted (walnut shells IIRC). Car needed to be suitably stripped down to ensure that old paint could be removed from jams and inner panels. Sand blasting is ok but, as I understand it, has the potential to heat, and thus distort, thinner guage panels.

One thing to consider: if you live in an area that gets quite humid or are near salty air (which you are1 :wink: ) you might think about having the bare metal treated with Metal Prep (or suitable equivalent). I, however, am not a paint and body guy... so someone else can chime in and confirm that.

I was quoted $2600 CDN (about 1800$ US) for a complete sand blast, and they only do sand and walnut, no soda powder.

That's a complete sand blast, inside and out, all the nooks and crannies. I didn't know if it were a fair price for that kind of work so I didn't went for it...I did not have the money either.

If you go this route (any media blasting) either do it with a shop that does cars often, or in conjunction with a body shop, and have the car shot in a bare metal and rustproofing primer immediately. Bare metal will start rusting again immediately in any humidity, and it's a real pain to D/A back off, trust me.

I've done Chemical dips and sandblast.

Sandblasting/Media blasting at the hand of a hired gun has run from 300-500.00$. Renting a big mobile unit and doing it yourself for 2 days and all the extra crap you can STAND to hit costs about 400.00$ including fuel and media (walnut,silica )with rental.

That should include Engine bay,fender wells, undercarriage, bolt-on parts including any suspension bits your going to have powdercoated later and of course door jambs, spare tire tub and floorboards (if you've stripped the car down properly....which means "gutted"...or shell !

As in ALL DIY jobs, how good a job is done ,is entirely up to the individual using the Equipment and they'er fammilliarity with it !! I have NO warping when I do it. (NEVER USE SANDBOX SAND)

Takes several days of running powerful vacuums and air hoses to get the dust completely out of the crannys ( in actuallity,it NEVER comes clean )

Chem dip is becoming ever more rare due to environmental laws and regs regarding waste disposal fees and penalties to the vendors. About 500.00- 1000.00 $ with the strip and Zinc sealer. But what a nice job those big tanks can do ! Still some clean up left to do.

Six of one ....half a dozen of another it seems !

if it's going onto a Rotisery after the stripping/blasting ....prepare for some irritations visiting you for months....or every time it rolls over or upside down !

Got to make em' Ugly before they're Beautiful !!

....................Vinny

I would not "sand" blast a Datsun! I had my 1968 Firebird hood sand blasted by a so called expert. He told me that if he blasted it from a greater distance and at an angle it would not warp. Well, it warped pretty bad and it took a good deal of body work to get it straight and flat again. I would have purchased a new hood but the 400 hoods are very pricey. If a Firebird hood warped that bad, with all of the bracing they have, I would hate to see what would happen to a thinner Z hood with no bracing (or any other body panel). I talked with one of the local body shops and they tell me that soda blasting is the best, but very expensive. I have no experience with other media, i.e. walnut shells but would not recommend "sand" blasting.

Just my 2 cents.

I used to do it and we charged $85 per hour. Whether or not it warps depends on things such as: size of sand, amount of air pressure, distance from nozzle, thickness of steel and the shape of the part being blasted. We often refused to do large flat surfaces as it's nearly impossible to do without warping. We also made the customer strip the parts... you may get a good discount by doing that.

I did mine myself except for the outer body which I da'd. Z's have thin sheetmetal and warping is easy, at least for me. The undercoating was the worst. Had to scrape it off first with torch and scraper before sandblasting. Once it was all blasted, I welded all the seams on all the frame rails etc. Really tighten up the car.

Nice working with all clean metal after it's done. All in all, I would do it again and would probably pay $500 for someone else to do it, I don't know about $1200.

lineweld.jpg280zprimered003A.jpg

280zpaintsunset002.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I was quoted $2600 CDN (about 1800$ US) for a complete sand blast' date=' and they only do sand and walnut, no soda powder.

That's a complete sand blast, inside and out, all the nooks and crannies. I didn't know if it were a fair price for that kind of work so I didn't went for it...I did not have the money either.[/quote']

I made a mistake, it was 1300$ instead of 2600$. Bad memory.

Guest ZracecarZ

After spending 2 or 3 days covered in sand and blasting on one wheel well, I had mine media blasted. The unibody alone cost me $280--a steal after all the time and effort I had already spent.

The place that did it actually gave me advice on how to limit the cost:

--put in on wheels so it doesn't take a lot of effort to move

--remove anything I didn't want blasted--masking off areas jacks up the cost

I left the headliner in and told them not to worry about it as I was planning on replacing it anyway. It actually took very little damage only at the edges.

I also hinted that if doing the unibody was affordable, I would bring back the doors, hood, hatch, etc. I got the impression that made a difference. Then I ended up using aircraft stripper on those parts instead. 1 gallon for 20 bucks did all the rest with little effort.

Guest ZracecarZ

Forgot to mention how the media blasting gave a nice "tooth" to the surface of the metal for bonding the primer to. I had to remove some of the primer when doing my billet fuel cap mod and it took an incredible amount of effort to get that stuff off!