HybridZ

Q45 Vs 300ZX R230... Myth Busting...

Mikelly

So on Saturday I was in a snit over a stuck line on a hydraulic release bearing on my vette when Jamie rang me up. He was in the area, had just picked up a 300ZX R230 differential and wanted to do a little comparison. He knew I had TWO Q45 differentials I'd gotten from mark Icard, and wanted to sit them side by side to sww how different they are... So I said Sure "I need a break anyway!"

I'll post the pics tonight, but there is one thing for sure... These two differentials are ABSOLUTELY different in exterior size. The case on the 300ZX R230 is for sure larger, and accomodates a lot more sensors, including ring gears for ABS. The unit appears to be heavier too! This should resolve any dispute or dicsussion about this topic any further... I know the Q45 has the R230 230mm ring gear, but maybe the difference is in the LSD type or the carrier on the 300ZX unit is larger. Regardless, we now have a definative answer. The 300ZX unit looks physically wider as well, which may impact axle length, which is something to consider when fabricating axles.

Pics tonight!

Mike

just a quick question on the r230. i saw in a blow up drawing that on the cover there is whats called an oil outlet. is this something that has to be hooked up to a resavoir or is this the same thing as a breather??? any help would be appreciated. thanks

• 2 weeks later...