HybridZ

Stockpiling parts for 240z/LT-1 T56 install

I have a 72 240z and a 96 LT-1/T-56 along with the rear end from the 96 firebird formula donor car it came out of (3.54 LSD rear disc).

Just paid $300 for a 1988 300zxTurbo automatic car less engine. Thinking that I could possibly change over the independent LSD rear (thinking as compaired to straight rear the 300zxt independent would be more manuverable) and also the two front suspentions. In that way I could switch to a five lug along with the benefit of using the four 16" rims/tires. For that matter I could also possibly use the tank and fuel pump since stock 240 tank is not for a FI.

Am I on the right track? Have any of you done this conversion on a 240 using 300zx components? will the suspention fit or would it be to wide and not worth the trouble?

I am far from the expert; but, thought I'd show you the courtesy of a response. It seems that you are making considerably more work for yourself trying to adapt all of the various donor vehicle parts. If your motivation is strictly cost, then you are probably heading down the right path being as you have gotten everything so inexpensively. However, you will likely end up putting new struts and springs on if you use the 300ZX pieces anyway. Seems that it would be MUCH easier to do the common upgrades to your existing components that have been done time-and-time again on this site. You can do five lug conversions easier, you can get a plastic fuel tank from a late model LS1 f-body car with all of the hoses, internals, etc and mount it as done many times by others, and you can do 'bolt-on' rear disc conversions. The caveat is that while there are easier ways to get to your 'destination', they will likely cost more...time vs. $$$. Keep reading the threads. Type in 'plastic tank' 'LS1 tank' 'IRS' 'diff' 'differential' 'five lug'..... and good luck!

Thank you 240Z2NV.... you input is helpful....really just wanted to hear any input from those that have tried using 300zxT suspension (what they thought of it...would they go that route again...as compaired to say a toyoda 4x4 etc.). I know allot of people have used the parts even more have used the rear. Wanted to know how the 3.7 z rear worked as compaired to the stock firebird 3.54 rear (too low?)

From the looks of both cars it should be a easy switch (looks can be decieving especally install width of suspention, a-arm mount). I just threw in the gastank idea. I would like to try a 280z FI gastank off my 280 parts car before going to a LS-1 or even a fuel cell.

Most of all wanted to thank you for as you said "the courtesy of a response"

A lot of what you want to do has been done. F body gas tank swaps are common (check out user name jerimo for a start. has an excellent web site detailing the swap). But all you really need is a surge tank and some high pressure fuel lines (search on Tim 240z)

The 3.7 rear will work fine for your application. Many members are using that same gear. It mostly depends upon what ratio your T56 has in 6th gear. I think Phantom has the 3.7 and has commented on it in the past.

As for suspension, have to ask why you are so intent on swapping in a suspension from another car. The 240 layout can produce some excellent results. The stock layout should handle the power of a stock LT1. If you upgrade, then an LSD rear with Modern Motorsports CV conversion and stub axles should be pretty bullet proof (500+ HP?)

If you still want info on rear end conversions, thenScottieGNZ has swapped in a Corvetter rear, Manichor detailed a 240 SX rear, and quite a large number of people have done a staight axle swap (Start with Mike KZ). Don't know of any 300z rear swaps but I know it has been discussed in some detail. Only know of one or two members who have replaced the front suspension. Most suspension swaps were done for strengh reasons, but that was before Modern Motorsports developed his stub axle kit. I don't think any of the people I mentioned claim superior handling from the swap. Modern Motorsports also carries 5 lug conversion kits that are known to work.

So if you are not getting many responses it is probably because your questions have been covered before. Try doing some reading, and I am sure if you ask more specific questions you will get a better response.

You are right I guess I am all fault for really not spelling it out what I wanted....I wanted opinions on using the 1988 zx Turbo rim/rotor/5lug suspension and rear...thinking:

1.Using the 88 turbo LSD rear would be stronger two wheel traction (I am not sure but think the 71-73 rear was not a LSD or as durable) 300zxT would include 5 lug rear disc brakes along with 16" rims (beats the 240z drum brakes....no pun intended). Also at first would like to use same halfshafts except I believe they are too long.

2. Using the front 5 lug/disc brakes will match up the rear 5lug so I can use the seven 16 inch rims with good tires ( when installing.. I don't run into clearance problem) along with improved stopping power etc...Which is what I was asking in my post (I guess I didn't elaborate enough..sorry). Beats the stock 14" rims

3. suspentionwise...I will probably go with the adjustable coilovers offered thru John at motorsports (I believe is his name..great guy ...remember years ago when he helped us out by developing all these upgrades). I just wanted to know how easy of a switch it would be ....thinking it would be neat to use the 300zxT adjustable ride shocks (you can adjust from the inside of the cab).using the 88 300ZXT suspention.

With regards to gastanks...I just wanted to use what I have saving money.300zxt is what I have although I do have a 280z fi tank it may be easier to install...I don't know that is why I was asking...fuel pump wanted to know if the 300zxt FP could support 280 Lt-1 hp...If not I could install my walbro off of my ZXT.

I remember Jeromino did as what I would like to do only different .(makes sense?)...use the stuff he had access to off the LS-1 car. I will be using a 300zxt car..

Scottie did swap a corvette rear (different rear I was interested in the 300zxT)...I remember right..when he did it...at the time he mentioned he wouldn't do it again.

Modern motorsports has really covered a bunch of the conversion aspects over the years. I plan on using them especally because John really knows his stuff and has been active on this site ever since I can remember. Bottom line what I am concerned about along ....is cost.

Using what I have available if what I have can improve performance. That is what I was inquiring.

When I was building my 280zxT (see sig below) the info and parts I received from ScottieGNZ along with many others were invaluble.. One of the satisfactions of beating Mustangs, Corvettes, etc. was looking at what they had dumped in their cars and having them look at what I did at about a sixth of the cost! Thanks to the input from a guy that used to frequent the turbo forums (ScottyMiz). I was able to make allot of hp AND save allot of money. I would like to do the same on this future project.

Thanks for your input.

I'd use the 300ZX rear differential and axles... And use everything else from the 240Z. Use some axle adapters from Ross or Tim240Z, and buy osme five lub stub axles from Ross or have yours drilled by a local machine shop.

Doing a complete 300ZX suspension swap would be a pain in the butt... Putting in the Live axle from the firebird would be a pain in the butt, and only really the way to go in ultra high HP conditions and drag only apps.

Mike