HybridZ

Broken 240Z Stub axle...

RedZ85

All i gotta say is..."It figures!" So i need to get new stub axles for my 73 240Z. I know that 280Z stub axles are the strongest. My question:

If i get 280ZX or 280ZXT stub axles and 280Z companion flanges, will they spline together (Both 27 spline?), will they fit in the rear wheel bearings and are they stronger than the 280Z stub axles?

I have an R200 CLSD installed with Z31 CV half shafts. In the very near future, i will be installing my Chevy 355 w/ 10:1 compression and an LS1 T56 6 speed. The car will be used as a daily driver mostly...with the occasional track run, etc. Im not really worried about things breaking because im not going to be road racing, and putting the car through extreem conditions for an extensive period of time but i would like to know which car had the strongest axles that will work in my 240Z. As for the axles, which are the best choises?

Thanks

-Ryan

Check Pete Paraska's site for the skinny on stub axles (see links below). My understanding is that the 280ZXT used a 240 stub with a different companion flange, and that the 280Z used the bigger one with the 27 splines but I'm too lazy to read it for you.

http://alteredz.com/240ZCVHalfshaftConversion.htm

http://alteredz.com/280ZCVHalfshaftConversion.htm

When I broke mine...it actually broke between the splines and the flange slightly twisting the axle before it broke, leaving the threaded portion and splines still connected in one piece...that make sense. I can get pictures later if you're interested. Mine was on a 280zxt tho. Just thought I'd throw out that info.