HybridZ

Coefficient of Drag...OR CD!

Mikelly

Any thoughts on how some of the better front airdams and rear spoilers improve the numbers? This combined with lowering the car has to help in some ways...

I'd bet headlight covers help somewhat as well...

Mike you gonna buy that wind tunnel so we can test all this stuff? :)

Ken, I'm within days of being back in the shop working on my Zcar project. Since it will be a track day car with minimal street use, I'll be testing a LOT of ideas on my Z, including a number of wing, spoiler, splitter, and airdam designs as I go. Doug Carrow is pretty good with resin and fiber matting and he and will be trying some of this "Stuff" out over the winter for fit and design, and testing the "stuff" come next spring when te Z is back together.

Fortunately, I've got a couple of road courses and plenty of clubs that will be used for my testing days.

As to a windtunnel for business, I don't see a market for many on this board. I actually contacted TWO companies (one on the east coast) back in 2001 who have them and was informed that theirs weren't available for rent. Most of these facilities are booked by the major racing teams throughout the country. Last month I read that one of the larger Nascar teams had built one in North Carolina. However, in that article it stated again that it would be for rent to race teams only. By the way, Rent was in the $1K+ per HOUR and you had to bring your own operator back in 2001! :shock:

Our goal is to start this company next week, put as many people on government contracts as we possibly can, and then buy a large enough chunk of land with a house already built on it, and have a large shop put on it. I'm shooting for 40X60 or 50X100. I then plan to buy a Dyno. I think in my area, that thing would be worth its weight.

Glad to see this topic re-surface. I'm amazed that I post figures direct from Chrysler about the new 2006 Viper R/T10 and Michael finds the need to dispute them. Sometimes I wonder if we don't find things to disagree about for the sole purpose of the disagrement itself. :roll: February 2005 issue of

Car and Driver... http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=9018

Aerodynamics and Downforce... They've been concerns for car builders since automotive racing competition cars have been built... Makes you wonder what they engineers were thinking when the Datsun was designed... :lmao:

Mike

I think that the new hot rod or car craft has an article on a cheaper wind tunnel being built right now in NC. Pretty sure that the mag had it backwards but the cost was listed as $390.00 for the first hour and $490.00 for the next. Also, someone at PRI had a cheap wind tunnel. I'll be there again this year & keep better track of this guy.

I'll call tomorrow and report back in a few days. If the price pans out I'll reserve some time. I'm curious how long set up is and how much info you can gather in an hour.

I read all the books I could find about testing and the weird thing was that most people go in with all the stuff hooked to the car and then peel it off (or unbolt it) and retest. "They" said it was quicker. I don't think they've seen a group of Hybrid zer's at work. with dzus fastners and some careful planing I think I could test 3-4 front and rear spoilers plus a few belly pans in an hour. But I don't know how long it takes to spool the fans up and down.

peace

Luigi

Nissan put a lot of aero effort into the development of the 280ZX, for example it must have been one of the first production cars to flow air for the radiator under the front bumper. That was done specifically to improve the aerodynamics.

The single most important improvement to the S30 seems to be a reduction in front ride height at speed. This has several benefits. It reduces the effective frontal area, reduces underbody drag and improves stability. Good value.