HybridZ

Drove the monster Z for first time!

Fired it again this AM, set timing, hooked up trans brake, fixed regular brakes, seems the push rod was too long, had adjustment but the new master cylinder must be wrong one, had to cut off an inch off the rod to make them work right, got that done, brakes work awesome.

Ok, guys, my 10 year old boy was the first to drive it. Kind of putted around with a stock holley 750DP on race gas 2-3K rpm. Have a trans cooler line leak that made alot of smoke and filled the cockpit with smoke and the trans brake is not working so no reverse. Went back, drained gas, changed carbs to my C&S 900 cfm Aerosol Billet, filled it with alcohol and drove it again. It was running pig rich, -10 lines probably still full of gas, and my boy didn't have it quite all together, our eyes were watering, couldn't breathe and he killed it down the road trying to turn around cause it was loading up, then it backfired and caught the carb on fire, kind of, no biggie, got that out with a good huff. Got it fired, I drove it this time and HOLY SHIT, what a monster. Spins 9 inch wide 29.5 tall slicks all the way through first gear, smoking them bad ass like a top fueler. Pedaled it, got it into second and hang on for the ride. Look back at the clouds of smoke and two heavy black tire marks fishtailing down the road. If it ever hooks out of the hole, there'll be some need for wheelie bars for sure.

Definately going to have to get a little taller gear or taller and wider tires and cut the rear fenderwells for some clearance so I can lower the rear ride height. Cooler line leak is no biggie, but the no reverse thing isn't going to be an in the car fix. I bought a cheap trans brake off ebay and I guess it doesn't work. I bench tested the reverse piston when I built it and it engaged fine so it has to be in the valve body, so the brake/valvebody is the culprit. I think I'll buy another trans so I can keep the car going and fix this other one that's in there now for a spare.

I can't believe how quick that car is compared to my 11 second monte! It is one bad ass ride!

I thought of that, actually, and I was going to buy another z, there was one for sale on this forum in Berkeley, but with my situation now, I had to back out. I was actually thinking of selling the Monte and building myself a twin turbo efi z, or a turbo efi z, or a procharged carbed z, or a blown carbed z, or a blown efi z. Maybe I'll just think about it and wear myself out.

I think the trans brake problem is either the modulator spool valve is incorrect or it needs a solid plate on the back of the case between the case and tailhousing. The transbrake instructions don't say much, but I figure it's not getting apply pressure. I'm thinking of buying another brake and installing that or taking the trans all apart again, or buying another trans in the meantime if I can find some money. I tried to call the "redneck transmissions" guys in Abilene, TX several times but nobody has returned emails or phone calls, so that doesn't look good.

When I get it fixed I will then get a friend to video the car and post it here in the Vid section.

The land of entrenchment, where men are men, women are few and sheep are nervous, no, wait, that's Wyoming, Crap, I live in the enchanted New Mexico, the southwest with all the movie stars from California are moving to.

Actually Socorro, where I live is about 75 miles south of Alb.

Figured out that the valve body is missing a check valve that is preventing the trans brake from working, have to send it back to the fine folks and they will send me a new one. Hopefully that doesn't take too long. Sending the C&S 800 aerosol billet back to C&S to have it modified for drag spec with jet extensions and calibrated specifically for that engine. Till then I'll run the 900 on it.