HybridZ

What's Your Favorite Beer?

DavyZ

Guiness is the best when I'm really thirsty. I also like Newcastle, Killians, Red Stripe, and Kirin but I usually buy Heineken, Fosters, or Gorden Beirsh Marzen cause they're always on sale. Gorden Beirch brews their beer across the street from me. Love the smell when I come home.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dale, you gotta be kidding: you live that close to Gordon Biersch??? Man, what a life. They have a Maibock (brew sold during the month of May) that is they very best of GB, but only available from the restaurant one month out of the year.

ON3GO, domestics are good IF they are not the mass produced kind. I have not been able to get into Budweiser or the like, but to each his own. If someone, say John Coffey, offers me a cold Coors, I'll gladly drink it!! :D

Many of you guys have mentioned brands that I have not heard of, so I may be trying some new ones in the near future due to my peaking interest!!

My brother and I have been talking about brewing our own, but that takes money$$$. I know Don Manzo (dmanzo) brews his own and it is supposed to be pretty good! If I make it out to Gilroy this year, I'll pay him a visit.

Davy

Guiness out of a tap is almost always good, the bottled and canned stuff gives it a bad name I think. For fun factor, I'd have to say Tiger beer is one of my favorites. I've only ever seen it in places like Maylasia and Singapore, which might have something to do with my fond memories of it, or rather lack of memories.... Kind of a watery taste with a hint of formaldahide, the recipe seems to vary with location. A Tiger beer at one bar may taste slightly different than at the bar 100 feet down the road. After 3 or 4 they all pretty much taste the same anyway. Australia has a large selection of excellent beers as well, Fosters being at the very bottom of the list. Last time I was there I got hooked on a hard cider called Strongbow, very tastey and potent stuff. Unfortunately I cant seem to find it anywhere in the states :(

Mike

i do love a good beer every once and a while. some of my favorites are Red Hook ESB and nut brown, Warsteiner, Hollandia (tastes a lot like Heineken), Kingfisher (found in many indian resturants), Bass, Harp, Abita turbo dog ..... ok, so maybe more than once in a while. :rolleyes:

i tend toward the pale to amber side of things. speaking of beer, man, i'd love a beer right now. too bad i'm at work...

--gabe

DavyZ - What kind of beer are you looking into brewing? My buddy and i were going to invest in some brewing supplies some time soon. We were going to start with brown ales or IPAs, since that's what we drink the most of. Seems as though you can get most of the supplies for about $150, and roughly $25 in ingredients makes you about 5 gallons of beer.

Z-Tard, Stronbow available at http:http://www.liquidsolutions.com for $1.45 a bottle plus shipping. Tiger Lager is available at $3.95 for a 650 ml bottle, seems a bit high.

By the time you figure in shipping, it can get a bit pricey, but i guess thats the price you pay for the beers you cant find anywhere else.

If anybody likes Scottish Ale, i'd recommend Traquair House Ale.

For run of the mill I go for Pilsner Urquell (pronounced er-kwell). I do make my own ale and wine. I love lots of hops! I wanted to start growing some hops last year but got side tracked.

My favorite wine to date was my homemade Pineapple wine. That stuff was dry with a great pineapple flavor.

Z-Tard' date=' Stronbow available at http:http://www.liquidsolutions.com for $1.45 a bottle plus shipping. Tiger Lager is available at $3.95 for a 650 ml bottle, seems a bit high.By the time you figure in shipping, it can get a bit pricey, but i guess thats the price you pay for the beers you cant find anywhere else.[/quote']

$3.95 does seem a bit high, considering the main ingredient for Tiger beer is most likely goat urine. I think the most I've ever paid for it overseas was around $1.25 for the 650ml bottle, the 12oz bottles were ridiculously cheap, cheap enough to get yourself a 3 or 4 hour block of lost time, along with the mother of all hangovers for around $10.00.

I'll have to check into ordering some strongbow, none of the ciders I've tried over here come close. Thanks for the link.

Mike

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

It's not beer, but I make my own wine. I have citrus trees in my yard and I usually have a batch of home brewed citrus wine on hand. Good stuff.

One of my favorite topics, I just have to chime in. In my world travels I've had the chance to sample some unique brews.

Denmark: All their christmas beers are great. Hard to beat a Tuborg for a cheap brew.

New Zealand: Tui. One of the best brews I've ever had, best IPA ever.

Scotland: Some of you seem to agree with me that McEwans was invented on a dare. Take half guiness and half scotch, and this is what you end up with. Not for the faint of heart. My favorite Scottish beer is Fraoch Heather Ale. Yum.

England: I always liked Newcastle and Hobgoblin. (Witchwood Breweries)

Ireland: A pint of Guiness is hard to beat in any country.

Canada: So many good micro-brews here, especially on the left coast. Stay away from molson or labatts! Vancouver Island Brewery's lineup is great, anyone that makes a beer called "The Herminator" is making some serious beer. Sleeman's Honey Brown reminds me a bit of Newcastle and is cheap to boot! Alexander Keiths if I'm slumming it. ;)

US: Despite the bad repuation American beer has around the world, there are some seriously good microbrews in the US! Can't remember many names, but there is a great one in washington state that is eluding me at the moment.

It would be really cool if we could mail local brews to each other to try out!

My brother and I have been talking about brewing our own' date=' but that takes money$$$. I know Don Manzo (dmanzo) brews his own and it is supposed to be pretty good! If I make it out to Gilroy this year, I'll pay him a visit.

Davy[/quote']

I just brewed a batch yesterday, 11 gallons. It's fermenting as I type. I'd be happy to walk you through your first batch if you decide to try homebrewing.

Time for another Homebrew...

Don

Guest goldraven

Well, I live in Fort Collins, CO. I'm going to have to stick with our local beers, they are outstanding. Fat Tire is amazing. 90 Schilling, Easy Street Wheat.

I've been traveling Europe for the last 5 months, the beers in Belgium were by far the best in europe. Chimay blue was my favorite. Go beer!

Nick

crap guys!

all this talk of yummy yummy beer is driving me nuts! I am actually at school right now and cant even begin to taste any for the next couple of hours!!! grrrrrr, might have to stop by whole foods and create my own six pack!

but until that time, here are some of my favs,

Coopers pale ale

Pacifico

XX

Corona with lime (1$ in mexico, yea!)

Fat Tire

Killians red

Negra modelo

urquell

tsing tsao

Sapporo

anyone that ever visits SA should visit chesters hamburgers. Best damn hamburgers and 100s of beers. the flying saucer also has an insane amount of beers. and cooter browns in New Orleans also has a kick ass beer selection.....mostly bottles though...

anywho, I guess I know what I'm doing tonight!

-S

I just brewed a batch yesterday, 11 gallons. It's fermenting as I type. I'd be happy to walk you through your first batch if you decide to try homebrewing.

No way that is going to happen soon--I may be moving if my company decides they'd like me in a new office *sigh*.

I'm more interested in DRINKING good beer, even more then I'm interested in making it. However, it's still something I'd like to do AND get good at it.

I wonder if it will be illegal by the time I try to make it....

Davy

I used to drink domestic only...

Then I had a Corona once and it made Bud taste like piss.

Then I had a wicked ale and the thought of Corona made me sick...

Then I tried a guiness out of the draft in a bar once and now even negro modelo tastes like watered cigarette butts in comparison.

I have spoiled myself into only liking Guiness extra stout, Guiness Draught, and some micro brews but only dark, dark, extra dark ones.

My test now if I'm going to like a beer, put it in a clear glass and hold it up to the sun, if you can see the sun through it, it's no good. :twisted:

:? But it's sad I just can't go back...

I used to drink domestic only...

Then I had a Corona once and it made Bud taste like piss.

Then I had a wicked ale and the thought of Corona made me sick...

Then I tried a guiness out of the draft in a bar once and now even negro modelo tastes like watered cigarette butts in comparison.

I have spoiled myself into only liking Guiness extra stout' date=' Guiness Draught, and some micro brews but only dark, dark, extra dark ones.

My test now if I'm going to like a beer, put it in a clear glass and hold it up to the sun, if you can see the sun through it, it's no good. :twisted:

:? But it's sad I just can't go back...[/quote']

I quess it's a good thing your not into drugs......you would likely be a heroin addict by now!!! Just kidding of course! Personally, I really enjoy the dark stuff (like Guiness) but as a regular thirst quecher I'm a PACIFICO fan. I usually pay about $1.00 each when purchasing a 12 pack. Damn, I'm getting thirsty!!!

Some very good beer's mentioned here. I'm not a big fan of hops though, I tend to prefer the ale's or dark stouts.

My all time personal favorites are the Belgians ales though. They add some additional yeast during bottling which enhances the flavor (and alcohol) content even further. If you don't mind an unfiltered beer, you can't beat a good Belgian.

Duvel and Chimay are some of the best belgians IMO. They're a bit pricey though and they have a much higher alcohol content than regular beers (8-10%) so I don't drink them all the time but man they are good drinking.

For everyday beers I really enjoy Newcastle Brown. Gordon Biersch Marzen is also a staple. I always have a few Guinness as well for those occasions when I'm in the mood.

During our honeymoon, me and the wife went on a tour of a brewery in Bury St. Edmund's in the UK. That was some seriously good stuff. Near impossible to find in the states though. If you ever find any beer made by the "Greene King" brewery, definitely give it a try. The best ones are their Abbot Ale and Olde Suffolk. They have a good IPA as well, but like I said I'm not a fan.