HybridZ

Who's using LM-1 wideband air/fuel moniter?

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

I just bought one but haven't gotten it yet. Just wondering if it was worth it or not? I got it so I can tune my car at the track and without a dyno. I don't care much for dyno numbers. I do want the engine to live though. Also, on a twin turbo engine... Where would you put the sensor? I am going from the twins into a single 4", so I guess I'd put just after the two merge?

The wideband O2 should be located pretty far away from the turbo and still be accurate at same time. it really doesn't like the heat and moisture. 8-13 inchs after the turbine is what I was told.

I was using one :-D .... but my car has benn down for awhile, and I've forgotton a few things since.

I do know that you want the sensor farther than 8-13" from the turbos though... I ruined the first sensor right away because I had it around 12" down the down pipe.

Klaus sugested that I move it aprox 3 ft down, and it has worked flawless since.

You can put it right before the muffler, at the diff, and it would be better than where a narrow band sensor normally would be placed, so DON'T use the spot you had your regular ego sensor... you'll cook it quick....

Guest JAMIE T

Awesome tips! Back by the muffler would be nice to keep it out of the clutter of the turbos and such. I'm still a few months away from using but figured I'd ask about it any way.

I used an Innovate LM-1 to tune several Electromotive and Haltech systems and it has really worked well.

In my turbo car, I have the sensor in pretty much the stock location (4-5" down from the turbine outlet on a non-stock downpipe)and have experienced no problems.

I've interfaced the LM-1 analog output to my Electromotive TEC2's O2 sensor input, and now can datalog true AFR along with any/all measurements available to the ECU. This makes tuning stupid-simple with a programmable system.

The LM-1 is a pretty capable data-logger on its own, but you have to have the optional "RPM Converter Cable" if you want the capability to record RPM and 3 more 0-5 Volt signals, such as MAP, along with AFR. The RPM Converter setup is non-intuitive and confusing, though. The Innovate software could be more user - friendly.

humm... I guess the cause of my first sensors failure, along with heaps of others on the LM-1 forum was a fluke. Maybe you guys that know wheres best to put the sensor, should get ahold of Klaus, the designer and owner of Inovate, and tell him to quit giving that bad/ non nessary info on how not to install the sensor that close to the turbo.... :-P

Mine is in the stock location but I was told to move the sensor away from the heat as 800C+ is not good for the sensor. Also keep the sensor away from moisture. It kills the sensor faster than the heat. If the WB unit fail to warmup the sensor before being used, it can fail due to condensation. One reason why I didn't go with LM-1 with lighter socket plug in power deal. I'm really forgetful.

Guest bastaad525

I had asked about this a couple months ago... seems everyone thought it was just fine to put the sensor in the stock location on the downpipe.

I never did get my LM-1 for xmas :( Not that it matters much, haven't been driving the car at all anyways. There was another brand out there, Yo2001 gave me the link but I dont' have it anymore, I dunno if search is working but you might want to have a look for it, the unit looked technically 'better' than the LM-1 with more features for a similiar price.