HybridZ

Sealing pipe joints for garage air compressor lines

jhaag

I used teflon tape to seal the pipe joints carrying compressed air from my compressor but I have a couple of leaks. A book about painting cars mentioned how great something called 'Gasoila' is for sealing. Has anyone ever heard of it or used it? Does anyone have a recommendation for a better sealant than teflon tape or should I just use more teflon tape than I did? I didn't think I was being overly frugal when I used it but perhaps I was.

Thanks

John

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

What kind of pipe are you using? You can get LACO Seal-Tite or similar thread sealers at Lowe's, Home Depot, or other hardware stores. Teflon tape doesn't cut it. I NEVER use it.

How big of a line are you running? I've used teflon tape a LOT on small fittings, and it works great... I get a few leaks sometimes, but can ussually fix it by tightening the fitting a bit. For biger stuf though, I ussualy use 'pipe dope' of some sort. Just make a mess/blob of it, and make sure to get some in all the threads. (a little brush is ussualy attached to the lid of the can) It's a bit messy, but I've never had a leak that way.

Guest 240zJake

Loctite makes a nice pipe sealer, I got a tube for free, works great.

Teflon tape has always worked great for me too though, make sure you wrap it in the right directing, so tightning the threads doesnt pull the tape free.

Teflon tape works perfectly well if applied correctly. 3-5 layers thick, cover first thread so it doesn't push back, and wrap in the right direction as stated above. Always use a high quality teflon tape not the el cheapo crap!

Loctite makes some liquid PTFE pipe sealant though and it works well, it's just a little bit messy sometimes.

Teflon tape works perfectly well if applied correctly. 3-5 layers thick' date=' cover first thread so it doesn't push back, and wrap in the right direction as stated above. Always use a high quality teflon tape not the el cheapo crap!

Loctite makes some liquid PTFE pipe sealant though and it works well, it's just a little bit messy sometimes.[/quote']

I do this also, 3 or 4 wraps and it never leaks for me. If you dont like tape the liquid sealant is fool proof when applied as directed and never dries out. It also does not wash off you hands well so use latex gloves.

I just did my garage. I assembled a 10'x14' shed behind the garage where I have put the compressor. Before the slab was poured, I ran 3/4" 'black pipe' from the back wall of the garage, down 3 feet, across 3 feet, then up into the shed. I wrapped it with underground tape and epoxy (just as if it were a natural gas service line). Then, after it puched through the garage wall, I used copper 3/4" line with several union fittings and the rest soldered together. That way, if I need to, I can disassemble it. I plumbed in 2 'dump' valves so I could drain any condensation, and a master valve at the compressor so that the garage could be isolated. The sweated fittings, according to an expert, can handle upwards of 600 psi. I used a combination of teflon and pipe dope on all the threaded fittings.

Tim

my shop we have pvc pipe that is just pvc glued together. We have a huge compressor and run up to 100 psi. Holds just fine.

My garage was originally PVC pipe until I found out if you accidently hit it with somthing it will explode. Litterally. It shatters and throws razor sharp pieces of shrapnel everywhere.

Do a little web research. It is dangerous and illegal to use PVC for compressed air.

i worked in water treatment through high school and summers while in engineering school and i've found that for plumbing where the female end is metal a combination of Teflon tape and pipe dope works best.

--gabe

EDIT: PVC pipe + compressed air = accident waiting to happen. PVC pipe gets more brittle as it ages making it easier to crack when connecting and disconnecting hoses, not to mention the tugging and pulling. it will break and can be very dangerious when it does.