HybridZ

Driveshaft Safety Loop for 280ZX

Guest magnadyne

I think you are going to have to make one. I remember running across a webpage that showed how to do it & gave dimmensions. I'll see if I can find it...

Please tell me what you did after you do it, since with the 3 foot long heat shield in there and a 3" exhaust, both running directly UNDER the driveshaft, it appears you'd just about HAVE to have something "custom" made. As far as the CV Axles are concerned, it would be nice to know what others have done for those too. If they break or come loose for some reason, that would be a situation just as dangerous and damaging. I have MIG and TIG welders here, as well as benders, so fabrication shouldn't be that big of a deal if needed. I just need some ideas.

Although it's not a ZX, I made one for my 240Z out of 2" X .250" aluminum plate. I doubt you are going to find anything of the shelf that will fit the way it needs to. Alos it needs to ne IIRC within 6" of the front U joint. If you break a rear bad things won't happen. I just found this out.

Although I was tempted to buy the one from Summit, I would probably have spent the same amount of time modifying it as I would fabricating a new one. So I think you guys are right, custom is the way to go. (it's not the first time I'd had to make a custom part for this car)

I like Clifton's idea of using aluminum so I'll probably do that.

magnadyne, if you find that webpage let me know. Otherwise, I'll probably start fabricating a new one next week.

Warren, my cv axles are fine (I'm using '87 Z31 turbo cv axles). Its the u joint on the driveshaft that gave out.

Thanks for the info guys.

Will keep you posted.

Its the u joint on the driveshaft that gave out.

Thanks for the info guys.

Will keep you posted.

I don't know what trans you are running but you can run a Spicer 1310 on the rear. I just did it on mine. Any drive shaft shop can convert it. It's alot larger than the stock one. I am running a Toyota trans so I don't know if there is a slip yoke to convert the Nissan front.

I don't know what trans you are running but you can run a Spicer 1310 on the rear. I just did it on mine. Any drive shaft shop can convert it. It's alot larger than the stock one.

The driveshaft was custom made with spicer u-joints on front and rear. It appears that the "u" part on the rear of the driveshaft is twisted. I'll be pulling it out of the car tomorrow. I'll post pics.

I'm using a BW T5.

I installed the Summit brand one in 45 -60 minutes. Its a peice of cake and worth it too. Also made my own half shaft safety loops. I went by a trailer manufacterer and bought some very heavy duty large 7/16" u bolts and drilled my own holes..presto.

I snapped a half shaft on a very violent launch at the drag races. Was oh so glad I installed them.

Mike

Guest magnadyne
magnadyne, if you find that webpage let me know. Otherwise, I'll probably start fabricating a new one next week.
Man, I am trying to find that page, but for the life of me, I can't.

In my search I did run across this...

It at least gives you an idea. Actually, it looks just like the one out of Summit.

driveshaft.jpg

ds-loop1.jpg

Guest Phil1934

There's a Pontiac parts house that sells a loop for $40 that is a section of pipe with a 1/4" x 2" tongue that goes forward and bolts between the trans and mount. You'd have to adapt for Datsun so might as well make it. They probably have one for T5.

1-800-RAMAIRS