HybridZ

280 ZXT CV's vs 300ZXT CV's

EZ-E

Is there any real difference, are the Z31 turbo CV's stronger then the S130 CV's?

I was over at Zcar and someone had posted that they were, is this true? If so is the Z31 CV a bolt up affair to the S130 chassis?

...If so is the Z31 CV a bolt up affair to the S130 chassis?

No. Although the Z31 Turbo axles will fit into any R200 diff, they are longer in length and require using the Z31 Turbo companion flange. And you can’t just swap companion flanges as the Z31 (both turbo and NA) uses a stub axle with a larger spline diameter than the S130 (it's even larger than the 280Z stub axle).

So all in all then if I wanted something strong it would be just better to go with what most are going with here and that would be ther R230 set up then?

I currently have a R200 LSD from a 87 turbo, is it worth trying or?

Before you give up, ask Ross at Modern Motorsports http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/ if anyone has used his Z31 Turbo companion flange adapters on a 280ZX.

He makes this adapter piece that is welded to the U-joint type companion flange and has the correct bolt pattern for the Z31 Turbo CV axle.

Ross’s kit is for the earlier S30 Z cars, so the concern is whether or not the length of the Z31 CV axle would cause a problem in the 280ZX (S130).

No. Although the Z31 Turbo axles will fit into any R200 diff, they are longer in length and require using the Z31 Turbo companion flange. And you can’t just swap companion flanges as the Z31 (both turbo and NA) uses a stub axle with a larger spline diameter than the S130 (it's even larger than the 280Z stub axle).

Why not swap stub axles too? I did it.

Why not swap stub axles too? I did it.

What wheel bearings (part numbers please) did you use?

I looked into this before. The Z31 stub axle uses a smaller diameter bearing (30mm vs 32mm shaft OD) for the inner wheel bearing and a larger diameter bearing (35mm vs 32mm shaft OD) for the outer bearing when compared to the 280ZX stub axle. I could not find a set of standard bearings that would work.

Please enlighten us!

What wheel bearings (part numbers please) did you use?

I looked into this before. The Z31 stub axle uses a smaller diameter bearing (30mm vs 32mm shaft OD) for the inner wheel bearing and a larger diameter bearing (35mm vs 32mm shaft OD) for the outer bearing when compared to the 280ZX stub axle. I could not find a set of standard bearings that would work.

Please enlighten us!

I did this about 5 years ago. I was so surprised and excited at how easy this was. Always keep in mind that different Nissans use many of the same parts. I'll check my notes tonight and let you know for sure tomorrow.

I upgraded some 510 rear control arms to use the Z31 stub axles and brakes. I did this by cutting out the whole cylindrical bearing housing (that contains both the inner and outer bearings) and welding in the ones from the 300ZX in the same place. It actually wasn't as hard as it sounds as it was fairly easy to get them back in the same place. At the same time, I slotted the mounts on the cross member so I could align for toe and camber.

...What I mean is: use the inner bearing from the Z31 and the outer bearing from the S130, or visa versa, ...

Thanks for the reply zxtman. However, because of the different diameters of the Z31 and the S130 stub axles, I can’t understand why the you can use a S130 bearing (inner or outer) on a Z31 stub axle.

I guess I will have to investigate this more fully. As I do not have a 280ZX rear crossmember readily available, I will have to wait until I make my next trip to see Roger at the Z Barn.

One last question zxtman: When I did a mock up using the Z31 stub axle I noticed that the wheel flange protruded about 3mm more beyond the lower control arm. Partly because the Z31 wheel flange is thicker. As a result this caused the brake rotor not to align with the caliper opening. You would have to shim the caliper out accordingly.

Did you have such a brake issue with your conversion?

One last question zxtman: When I did a mock up using the Z31 stub axle I noticed that the wheel flange protruded about 3mm more beyond the lower control arm. Partly because the Z31 wheel flange is thicker. As a result this caused the brake rotor not to align with the caliper opening. You would have to shim the caliper out accordingly.

Did you have such a brake issue with your conversion?

I don't recall if there was a brake issue as you mention because at the same time that I did the CV and stub axle swap, I fabricated mounting brackets to adapt '87 Z31 calipers & rotors on my 280ZXT.

• 3 weeks later...

After obtaining a 280ZX rear lower control arm and with the stub axle for evaluation it appears that the Z31 stub axle (with the Z31 wheel bearings and inner seal) will indeed fit into the 280ZX rear lower control arm housing without modifications!

Because the Z31 stub axle is tapered, use the Z31 distance piece (bearing spacer) as the Z31 “B†spacer is the same length (55.95mm) as the ZX “M†spacer. If your 280ZX rear lower control arm housing needs the “N†length spacer (55.85mm) use the corresponding Z31 “A†spacer and if you require the “P†length spacer (56.05mm) use the corresponding Z31 “C†spacer.

This opens up a lot of possibilities for 280ZX applications as the Z31 stub axle came in three different varieties: a four-lug hub, a five-lug hub and a five-lug hub that used a vented rotor (which has a thicker wheel mounting flange). Utilizing either the turbo or the non-turbo Z31 companion flange you can use either the ZX CV axles (3 bearing joint) or the stronger Z31 turbo CV axles (with the 5 bearing joint).

Strange but I noticed that the diameter of the ZX stub axle is actually smaller (30mm vs. 32mm) than the first generation 1970-78 Z cars. The Z31 stub axle starts out at a 30mm diameter but then it tapers out to a diameter of 35mm where the wheel flange is. Nice upgrade.

I still think that using the Z31 stub axle will result in the wheel mounting flange being pushed further away from the axle housing. Partly because the Z31 wheel flange is thicker and if you use the Z31 stub axle that had the vented rear rotor this offset is even more. As a result this will cause the brake rotor not to align with the caliper opening. But you could probably shim the caliper out accordingly (I did not look into this detail).

Too bad the Z31 stub axles can’t be used in the first generation Z car stub axle housing without machine shop work.

After obtaining a 280ZX rear lower control arm and with the stub axle for evaluation it appears that the Z31 stub axle (with the Z32 wheel bearings and inner seal) will indeed fit into the 280ZX rear lower control arm housing without modifications!
This opens up a lot of possibilities for 280ZX applications as the Z31 stub axle came in three different varieties: a four-lug hub, a five-lug hub and a five-lug hub that used a vented rotor (which has a thicker wheel mounting flange). Utilizing either the turbo or the non-turbo Z31 companion flange you can use either the ZX CV axles (3 bearing joint) or the stronger Z31 turbo CV axles (with the 5 bearing joint).

zcarnut,

glad it's working out for you! I used the five-lug hub with the vented rotor and thicker wheel mounting flange. Let me know how you decide to resolve your caliper issue. I used '87 Z31 calipers.