HybridZ

Blew Up the 383!!

Last night I went to my buddy's track (private airstrip) to do some racing with a few other choice invites (about 15 cars total). After winning a few races against a few late model Camaro SS's, and a few n02 pumped imports, I was having a good night.

Then things went south. Another guy with a white Honda SI hatch wanted to race. I agreed and we lined up.

I completely smoked him out of the hole and never looked back. Then 100ft before the finish (I still had a commanding lead), I hear a quick noise (can't remember what it sounded like), then the motor quits. I look in the rear view to see if I was still going to win and all I can see is white smoke.

I ended up winning, but the motor is toast. There is water/anti-freeze/oil mix coming out of the muffler and the dipstick looked like swiss-mix.

I ended up shattering a piston and bending a rod as it windowed the cylinder allowing the water to get into the oil. The motor would not turn over, because everything was binded up.

All of these pics are of the parts as taken, untouched. I am was suprised to see the other pistons so clean.

hole1.jpg

rod2.jpg

valley1.jpg

The machine shop said I able to sleeve, I guess we'll see.

The crank and the remaining 7 pistons/rods look great.

Oh the cam got smacked too because its broken between 7 and 8.

The head chamber is mostly untouched. The #8 exhaust valve is bent ever so slightly.

#8 intake pushrod was bent and broken, and the hyd lifter 'plunger' was in the lifter valley.

Here's some pics of the bent/twisted rod:

rod3.jpg

Enjoy!!

Man what bad luck. I hate it when that happens, don't you? Well, look on the bright side, you could make a good shift knob out of the rod.

Naw, its already a paper weight :D

Yo, Boy you did a number on that motor! Must have been a weak piston ! you must have been malikng some serious power. My first blow-up was a .040 327, broke 2 ringlands on #7 piston, but you outdid myself. Good luck on your rebuild.

I figured I was making about 300HP at the flywheel. It was enough to smoke late model Vettes and EVO's. That's even with the 3.54 open R200 and 195/60/14 Walmart tires on the stock rims. The motor wasn't anything special. No name chinese stroker cast crank, DynaGear 0.030 hyper pistons (9.0:1), stock/resized 5.7" 'X' rods w/ARP bolts, everything balanced, 1974 '882' casting iron heads w/2.02/1.6" valves (and alittle port work), mild RV Erson HYD cam .430" lift/220dur@0.050", 111 LSA, Performer RPM intake, an Edelbrock 600cfm carb. I shifted at 5300-5500 and ran 12.5's all day with limited traction until second gear (TH350 stock converter).

I already have a R230 vlsd and a 12 point roll cage being installed which should aide in traction and keep the car from twisting under load w/traction.

Wow, at least you neither seem phased nor are letting it keep you from what looks to be a formitable upgrade. Good luck next time.

Man! That blowed up real good!

Where's SCTV when we need it? I love that show, you just reminded me how bummed I am the comedy channel doesn't feel the same.

WOW!!!! Ill say you blew it up, those are great times though with a open end diff, must have been a pretty mean motor and on a budget no less lol, you have to love that. Cant wait to see what happens now with the rebuild.

• 3 weeks later...

BBZ

Have you determined a cause? The rod bent. Had you done any polishing of the rod beams? Not that that would have prevented it. Just trying to diagnose the problem. what would cause force enough to bend the rod? No Nitrous involved is there? Detonation? I know it is probably to quick to hear. I guess the cam broke due to the seizure of the piston. something had to give.

My friend did the same thing to his supercharged 383. He had Chevy X rods and was running a 144 mini blower at 6 psi the rod did not break it just pretzeled. Funny how it didn't come apart. He got lucky and saved his block and heads.

Mike