HybridZ

stock seats vs aftermarket...

lilj

1988 300zx =/

I have been trying to figure out what to do with my seats.. both the driver and passenger seats are tearing up pretty much all around. I was attempting to get them reupholstered but nobody wants to do anything custom for under a thousand. They all tell me that if katzkin or a company of that nature made a kit, that they would be able to do it for 600~. It's getting aggrivating because I'd like to have the stock seats (*drools over 50 way power*) -- exaggeration but none the less.

I have been looking around at aftermarket seats on ebay and the like. Found a few I liked, took a look at some wannabe nismo, the dad seats, and so on.. however.. everyone says 'DON'T BUY EBAY SEATS.' Why? They're not FIA approved. Why can't FIA approved seats be 350 shipped like ebay seats =( lol..

So I took some time and thought 'live or die?' Well, I chose live. So basically that means, find an upholstrey kit or buy some expensive (~1000) aftermarket seats. I can't find a damn thing in the way of an upholstrey kit, so that seems like it's out.

I've been looking at the corbeau A4 (800 shipped) CR1 seats (1000 shipped). INCL brackets.

Anyone got any suggestions?

-Jon

ps. couldn't figure out where to put this, not really techie so yah =P

I bought the A4's and had to modify the sholder area by bending it in a little to get it to fit centered. That was ok, but the seat is still too high and the only way I see to fix it is to cut the mounts out of the frame and weld on some shorter bracing.

I dont want to cut on the car so I have decided to rebuild the original seats and remove the A4's. I got the foam kit and covers from MSA http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=SIC102 . I think you can do it yourself without too much trouble, and the quality of the covers looks good. Now if I could just work out something for replacing those crappy seat belts.

Guest HALLOWEEN Z

I'm having trouble uploading pics from my computer but I had a friends uncle(who owns an auto upulstry shop at his house) do my seats and he charged $300. He can do about anything and it looks great, great quality material to. They are black with an orange stripe, like my car, and a Z on the headrest.

The CR1 won't mount in the Z well... We had them in Jim McNemars car and they hit the door upon closing... Most of the aftermarket race type seats aren't going to sit low without some cutting... the other issue is that ANY affordable reclining seat isn't going to be FIA approved. If they don't have to recline, then you can find a BUNCH of FIA approved seats... I've got the Corbeau A4 and I'll be cutting my car up some more!

Mike

Keep looking. I have found some perfect Black (actually VERY dark grey) leather seats from a '95 300ZX on craigslist.org I was planning on using them in my 240Z hybrid; but, I really hate leather. I also just scored some 3rd generation RX-7 seats on eBay in Black cloth!! If they are nearly as good as the description, I'll likely use them.

Anyway, my suggestion is keep looking. I don't personally care for the aftermarket seats too much, UNLESS you are racing or want to join the 'tuner' crowd.

I had been looking for some diff seats.. IE. rx-7, z32, etc. However, they all seem to be the wrong color or crap condition. I think I need to find a shop that is willing to reupholster mine. I emailed some distributor for katzkin and he said if I removed the old from my seats he could make me some for like 595. Which is both front seats, buckets in leather, the rest in viynl (sides/back). Not too bad, but I don't really know what to do. I guess I'll keep an eye out on ebay and classifieds. Thanks for the opinions again! =)

I just checked the motorsport auto link and saw something that I like! The kit thats 560 for my car! Doesn't seem too bad at all.

Dale, How hard is the installation of the covers? Something an inexperienced person can do? It says it comes with an installation tool, etc.. what kinda stuff does it mean?

Front seating surfaces are full Automotive Grade leather, sides and rear are high quality vinyl. Both are top grade, having passed "automotive grade" requirements for abrasion resistance and ultraviolet protection. One kit covers both front seats, including headrests. Includes fasteners and installation tool.

Looks promising! Please let me know

-Jon

I have not done the seats yet, but it does not look very hard. The foam has to be shaped a bit to fit perfectly and I'm going to add some strapping for support in the seat. I dont have to have perfect, I just want to do it myself, that's the point for me.

Make sure you get new foam too! It's like 80 bucks a seat.

Once you have the kit, you could get one of the upholdstry shops to put it in.