HybridZ

Wide 1/4s and taillight panel

Guest HLChoppers

Guest HLChoppers

Hello All,

I am starting to embark on a 1981 280zx Project. I am looking for a wide fender set for the rear and a new exterior taillight panel. I like the set up on the wide body kits however, I do not want to widen the front. Also does anyone know of a place to find a carbon fiber dash for this year 280ZX. Thank for any info.

Well I've got good news and I've got bad news... The good new is that someone does make a wide body kit for the ZX. the Bad news is that it's Showcars Bodykits (run a google) which has a nasty reputation for Horrible customer service and Terrible fit and finish of the kits. More bad news is that your on your own for the tail light panel and the dash. It sucks that us ZX guys aren't a bigger market for major aftermarket manufacturers, we get the short end of the stick with most things. But I will offer a side bonus, Search for Reaction Research and check out their automotive stuff, they have a few things for the ZX but not much. You might find something you like.

What he said. :lol: I did the rear roll pan on my 280 using a flat sheet of 'door bottom repair' metal. It comes about 6" wide, 5' long and has one edge folded over to about a 45* (I used a small piece on my door, and you just get it in place and fold it the rest of the way and weld) I was considering building a custom panel for some round tail lights, but my stock ones worked, and I didn't want to add to the list (the while I'm at it thing..) and IIRC, the rear of a ZX really is almost flat across the back.. I found it's really easy to line it up (flat metal on a slight curve) and just use a few pop-rivets to hold it, and just start triming/bending it slightly. Work from top/center, down and out equaly, some fidling around, and it will take shape quickly.

The dash... wel is not made as far as i n know, granted, a carbon fibre dash doe snot do anything peformancewhise, or timeoriginal whise in my opinion, so i never looked into it, as for the rest

bring out the welder and sheet metal ...!

check my site for some ideas, i used flares of a 86 z31, as i like the subtilenes ( much like a 350 i came to discover when one was parked next to my project)

But in fact you can use any wheelwell of any car ( hobout 944 style)

I also got my hands on a Gnose !! not bad at all on a ZX

As for teh tails, i built in R32 GTR Skylines units. and shaved the whole bumber, I have no clue if i went right about this yet, only time will tell, but it is doable, ( only look at what blue oval did!)

http://www.datsun280zx.tk

I know you are not dealing with the front but here a pic of the z31 flare up front

flarefront.jpg

flare.jpg

Here the back, not notably built but more gentle, What i wanted on this car ( thoug a YZ style would have been good !!)

skylinefitbondoprincess.jpg

I dont have pictures of this completly finished yet, but im getting there.

As for the rear section it runs relativly flat, as said by datsunlover ... it is teh easy

here some pics.

backside&wing.jpg

skyline1.jpg

It is actually a reversed z backsection welded on there

Good luck

hope thsi helps