HybridZ

Where are the Mopar Z's?

Chewievette

I've been looking into rebuilding a 360 for another project of mine so I got curious... why dont I see more mopars in Z's? I cant figure why it'd be harder than a ford swap. I know there's kits for chevies so that would be easier but I was just curious. Thanks.

edit: sorry, i forgot the golden rule! do you wanna smack me in the forehead or should I?

Guest 406_ZDriftr

there should be some Mopar Z's. I have a video of a Z and it says it has a 440 in it but who knows, you cant see the motor in the video. Im a Mopar guy who happened to have a Chevy 400 motor and didnt want to put it in a Chevy, but would rather go with a Z. But a 360 would fit in a Z, it is narrower than a Small Block chevy, and you can get good power from them.

Guest 406_ZDriftr

Check out this motor http://www.allpar.com/mopar/la4.html it is an all aluminum Chrysler 4 Cylinder that is based off the small block Chrysler V8, 273 318 340 360. It uses a V8 head, as well as other parts. It bolts up up to the V8 transmissions too. It must be light as hell, being all aluminum, and it makes a lot of power. This isnt a passenger car engine. Im pretty sure it can be mounted the same way a small block chrysler would, with all the extra space for a maybe a turbo, supercharger, your luggage maybe! If i only had the money :mad: id probably do this instead of the chevy engine, as the Z would be lighter and handle better. And also cause im a Mopar guy!

I’m still around Mat. I think I’m becoming a lurker though.

Mopar swaps were first and second in my Z. There are no kits so fabrication skills are a must.

318.jpg

A nice economical taxi motor was first.

340_8BBL.jpg

Dual AFB old school 340 with J heads came after.

No way you're going to put a 440(big block) crank in a 360(small block). There is a 4" stroke crank available that makes a 360 a 408, and putting a 440 crank into a low deck 400 for 451cid is also a popular swap.

John

That reminds me of a saying about Helicopters... They're just a bunch of parts flying in close formation trying to destroy each other.

I like the sound of that 440! but I think a 360 would be a little easier on the weight. But for anyone that was really wanting me to put the V12 in there, dont dispair! I'm still commited to that engine.