HybridZ

anyone run 302 or 327 chevys?

Guest Turbo_Lag

Clear somethin up for me guys..i thought that the 302 was a ford motor..u know-the 5.0....im so confused now..:confused2...yeah..the 302 has to be a Ford motor...its in the crown vics and mustangs..it at least used to be in the mustangs..i thought...please, please help me here haha

Josh

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clear somethin up for me guys..i thought that the 302 was a ford motor..u know-the 5.0....im so confused now..:confused2...yeah..the 302 has to be a Ford motor...its in the crown vics and mustangs..it at least used to be in the mustangs..i thought...please' date=' please help me here haha

Josh[/quote']

Have you read this thread?

Can you guys confirm this...Grumpy are you out there? I would really prefer a 302 to anything but I realize they are rare and $$$$. If it is possible to put a 283 crank in a 327 for the same result I'll go that route.

Thanks for the help!

We did it all the time in the 60's and 70's. They made great power, revved like crazy, and sounded awesome at 8000+ RPM. We put them in Healy's, Camaros, 55-57 chevys, anything that wasn't a complete tank.

We did it all the time in the 60's and 70's. They made great power, revved like crazy, and sounded awesome at 8000+ RPM. We put them in Healy's, Camaros, 55-57 chevys, anything that wasn't a complete tank.

What pistons did you use?

I am going to be using L98 vette heads (58cc chamber) and I want to keep the compression reasonable; 9.0-1. I imagine I will need a dished piston to do this.

Thanks!

Guest Turbo_Lag
Have you read this thread?

yeah i read thw whole thing before i posted and i saw nothing referencing that the 302 is a ford motor-which it is- i wasnt joking i was just trying to say "why are you talking about a 302 in the chevy forum?" in a nice way:)

Guest IneedaZ

Chevy made a 302 in the late 60's. The best was a DZ 302 in 69'. I am building my second now. Very high reving engines. My first one hit 8000rpm's daily. I am thinking of going with tri-power on this one. Any one here have a 3 duce set up in their car? I am concerned with a possible rpm limitation with all the manifolds I have looked at so far. They all seem to have a very low rise.

Any one here have a 3 duce set up in their car? I am concerned with a possible rpm limitation with all the manifolds I have looked at so far. They all seem to have a very low rise.

Check with Speed Racer. He with a picture of his 327 tri-power have posted on this thread. It doesn't sound like he has had any problems with reving his setup.

Yup, I have a Tri-Power setup on my 327 Chevy and am very pleased with it.

236622_10_full.jpg

I quite often rev the engine to 7,800 RPM without any problems. The manifold is quite rare though. I couldn't fit the normal Edelbrock 3 - 2BBL manifold and carbs under the GTO hood plus it's only rated to 5,500 RPM. So, I opted for an old Offenhauser Corvette single plane manifold, which also flows much better, but I lost a little low end torque. The three carbs combine for just over 1,000 CFM and they make as much noise as the exhaust when you open them up!

As one might have guessed I found the manifold brand new in a box on good old eBay. You might try Vintage Speed http://www.vintagespeed.com/ as well.

236622_2_full.jpg

Guest IneedaZ

Thank you SpeedRacer. Very usefull info. I have found a Offy in the PAW catalog. I am not sure if it is the same one you have. Good to hear that it revs higher than the Edelbrock. I will go with tripower for sure this time.

Sweet set-up btw.