HybridZ

New carb recommendations (NZR):

Not for my Z, but I figured the information could be used for the Z guys just as easily.

This is for my 71 Chevy truck. I am currently running a Holley 750 Double Pumper, but I know it is wayyy over carbed. So, in an attempt to make it a bit more fuel efficient and the throttle a bit crisper, I am going to replace it with a 600 cfm carby.

So here is the question. Which carb is best for these purposes (I have always been a Holley DP user):

Option 1:

Get a Holley 600 cfm Double Pumper

Option 2:

Get a Holley Street Avenger 670cfm (I think the 570 cfm will be too small)

What are the benefits/cons to this 'new' carb?

Option 3:

Edelbrock performer 600 cfm carb. Again, benefits/cons to this type of carb?

Option 4:

Go Fuel injection....not really an option due to cost. (even with MS, I would still need to buy a bunch more stuff).

Here are the engine specs:

350ci (not been bored, std bore)

Vortec heads

L98 Corvette cam grind.(heads have upgraded valve springs)

Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold

1" carb spacer

1 3/4 primary full length headers

TH350 tranny (soon to be upgraded to TH200 4R)

The engine almost never sees any more than 5000rpm, and even then that's rare.

Any words of wisdom, experiences etc....

I agree with zfan. Try option 2 and let us know how it works out-- What changes as far as mileage, driveability, power.

I face the same dilemma here with a similar engine but for my Z (which causes me to rule out option 3). As I recall, the old Carters didn't like corners very well due to float/ float chamber design. Since this is pretty basic to the carb, I doubt if the Edelbrocks are any better.

Option 1??. Double pumpers are jetted for max power (richer) so logically the mileage would still suffer, even with a 600.

John C: That is what the truck had prior to the engine build. Never got that great fuel mileage out of it. I love the 750DP, but I'm sure that it is killing my fuel consumption. The intake I have now doesn't have a spreadbore flange, so I would need an adapter...rather not do that.

Jamie,

Running through the CFM calculation, even a 600cfm carb is likely too large:

350ci*5000rpm/3456=506cfm*0.85 (optimistic % V.E.)=430cfm

The spacer should help with low end torque, but I will try it both ways.

I think I will stick with what I know and get a 600DP manual choke. Summit has some reman. units, but the new ones aren't that much more, so I will likely go with that.

I had been a Holley person for 20+ years until I put an Eldebrock Performer on a warm 355. Had all the tools ready....prepared for several test blasts....took it out of box...started it up...set idle and drove it 6 years...of course a larger Holley probably would have provided several horsepower over 5K RPM...this one was decent on gas, good response and absolutely troublefree...no power valve blowouts...no nothing. Maybe I was just lucky. John

I really think a proper tuned 650 DP with 50cc Holley Accelerator Pump Conversion Kits in front and back. I had a worked over 650 DP on my 302 for a very long time and loved that card , But i have a buddy that knows those carbs in/out and he tuned it to my car and its needs.

I would stick to a 650 or larger just becuase sure a 600 could feed it but long times of WOT a 600 would starve a 350 with some hop ups done to it and its allways better to run a little on the rich side than lean..

Anyhoot just my 2 cents :)

laterZzz

Tim, No worries. My engine builder is sold on demon carbs. He said you bolt them on and there is no fussing around with them. I will probably go that way in the end depending on what they cost here. Local guys are asking $1200 nz for them. Might have to go e-bay.

Douglas

Guest Zyoul8r

I've had a few small block chevy's in my time and there is no doubt in my mind you should use the 600 Double Pumper with Mechanical Secondary's (Although with the auto tranny everyone else will probably recommend the Vacuum Secondary's) I just like the response of mechanical.

Go the extra step and adjust it for elevation (depending on where you are).... chances are it will still be a little rich for you out of the box.

I'm sure you will get many opinion's on this question....

Good luck with your decission

The 750 was a gift from my Dad, so it has some sentimental value. Sorry man!

Now that's a Gearhead family! Most of the time its, "Son, now that you're out on your own, its time I gave you my grandfather's watch..." But, in the Hepburn family its, "Son, now that you can build you're own small block, I'm going to give you my Holley 750 DP..." :-D

Tim, Glad you still have your truck! My 70 GMC with the big block got 11 mpg. With a JET Stage II 750 Q-jet it now gets 13. I bought one for my Jimmy as well. Q Jet is best of both worlds, but $360 is a lot more than the Holleys. Drawback on my 70 is having to adapt the TH400 kickdown solenoid and mechanical throttle linkage to the cable type arm. Not a problem in your 71. The electric choke is worlds better than the OEM hot air choke as well.