HybridZ

ANOTHER SAD DAY

MYRON

This is the second time for me that a personal friend has been killed in the line of duty. Those of you from the Houston area have probabaly seen the news. Harris County Deputy Shane Bennet was killed trying to help a family in a gang related hostage situation. Deputy Randy Eng was killed December 21 1996. He was shot in the head in an ambush after breaking up a fight at a wedding reception.

My hats off to any of you that serve to keep us safe...

Myron

Guest Anonymous

Sorry to hear that, condolences. I know we (I) make comments about cops sometimes, but in all honesty I'm happy that someone has the ballz to do that job, its a tough job and they have my most upmost respect. Theres probably not many of us that say we put our life on the line for a job, but thats what they do day in and out. Peace officers everywhere, likewise, thank you, you are definitely the hero's. Sorry once again.

Regards,

Lone

I will tell you what was told to me many years ago by Vince Bugliousie (During a project for College), the famed prosecutor of Charles Manson. "We all harbor the capacity, the malace to kill. We feel it in rage, fits of anger, and sometimes in the most pleasurable of times." The fact that some one takes the life of another isn't so much unfathomable, as it is timing, circumstance, or bad luck gone worse. Be it the right place at the wrong time, perception of a threat, or desire to achieve a goal by eliminating someone for personal gain, be it business, relationship, or other reasons.

However, never underestimate the people in your life, your family, your neigborhood, or where you work or play. Any of us are "Capable" of taking the life of another.

It is a sad reality of our lives... and the reason I eventually changed my major... :eek:

Mike Kelly

My condolences. Sorry to hear that.

Sure, we don't like to be caught speeding by the man, but we also respect very much what they do for us. 99% of the peace officers are cool, and just want everybody to be safe. My hat's off to them.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

In the PC world we live in now, there is no way for a COP to do his or her job properly. That is the sad reality of it.

My suggestion if you live in a gang infested area (like who doesn't) is to pack heat and use it if you need to. Better them than you.

I am sure someone will give me some heat for that, but until we all stand together and decide we are going to have a moral compass again, that PCness sucks, and that jail should really suck and actually be punishment, nothing is ever going to change.

Thanks Guys,

At least Shane got some shots off in the gun battle. When Randy was killed it was over

two brothers arguing about another guest of the wedding reception NOT drinking enough congac. One brother got mad at the other for taking sides of the non-drinker. Randy broke up the fight and told them if they kept acting up that he would have to throw them out. that is what got him killed... FUBAR...just plain FUBAR

Myron

Guest gprix1

I was almost car-jacked years ago and now I'm thinking of carrying a gun. I tried to go around a train that was stopped on the tracks by going one street over but when I got to the end of the street I realized it was not a street at all but turned into a parking lot which was fenced off on the other side.

I was turning around to go back when about 8 gang-bangers surrounded my car with one of them saying I had to "Pay a Toll!!" in an extremely unfriendly manner. I put the clutch in and cranked the wheel to the stop while I was saying "What?". Then, realizing the reality of the situation with my heart pounding and hands sweating, floored it and dropped the clutch to flip a 180 and hopefully run a few of them over in the process.

While flipping a tire-smoking 180 I saw that one of them had been aiming a gun at me and I could hear them laughing - I soon found out why; the only way out was now blocked by a white Toyota Corolla. Then the sick feeling hit me that this was an elaborate plan and they indeed had very bad intentions for me and no hope of escape. I figured "what the hell" and continued flooring it straight at the Corolla.

Now aiming between the brick wall and the car and thinking maybe I could squeeze between and push the Corolla over when I saw the driver of the car standing in the space where I was trying to fit and holding a gun. I crouched a bit and with my engine severely over-reving now in 1st gear I aimed straight for him. He jumped out of the way and I came through without scratching either side of the car which to this day I don't know how because it looked like there was NOT enough room.

I almost lost it making the turn out of the alley as I still had the pedal to the floor and I thought "calm down Rick, calm down, last thing you want to do is wreck after making it through all that!" so I EASED out of the gas (it's amazing your concentration level in a situation like this) while correcting the self-inflicted tank-slapper.

As SOON as the car was straight I was dialing 911 on the mobile phone. The Cops only caught one of them. Turns out the guy had to close up before he could take off because he worked for the construction company where I was turning around at. After a couple of hours I was being driven to each and every ones house to indentify them. They didn't even fight it so they went down and I never even had to go to court :Drockon.gifrockon.gif

The thing that still scares me to this day is when the Cop told me they ALL worked at the construction company where I was turning around at. Which means that if they had just robbed me and let me go, they would have almost surely been caught later. The only way to garantee that I would not be able to get them busted would be to make sure I was not able to tell anyone. The cop also mentioned finding evidence of them doing this to other people before. eek2.gif

The cop also said he doesn't see how I fit through and that it was easy to see where my car had been 'cause of the black marks from where I flipped the 180 all the way past where the car was parked from smoking the tires. I never lifted.

Guest Anonymous

Policemen, firemen and teachers today simply don't make enough for what they have to deal with. Condolances to those officers family and friends for their loss. I'll stop with that. My personal views about punishing criminals goes far beyond simply arming yourself.

Guest Fast Frog

I, also former law enforcement, have started taking a pistola with me when I(we) go out of town. I like my .45 auto for short trips and my XD-40 with the M6 laser/light package for longer excursions. No one likes to think about getting into a deadly confrontation and its consequences, but these days it really pays to be on the safe side.

Condolences Myron!! :(

that sucks big time. Im sorry to say people, not all people but it seems like more and more people have no respect for law enforcement community.

Cop or not who would take someones life for so little. very sad me thinks!!! :(

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Will you be going to the funeral? They are having it in The Woodlands, and plan on blocking the entire town off for the traffic. Should be a sight to see, one in which Mr. Bennet deserves greatly.

Guest Anonymous

I hate going to those measures, but I do plan on getting another pistol to carry when I have my residency in Az, they have a right to carry law so you can legally walk around with a loaded holstered gun.

They do warn though that if you pull it, it better be warranted or you'll be spending time with that idiot on TV Sheriff Joe with his stupid pink jail cells and teddy bears just to piss the inmates off (as if they need help).

Most places down there (at least alot of resturants and some other places) don't allow you to bring them into the place and are often marked 'No firearms inside' which I tell ya is weird for someone from California who see's it.

Thank God for the officers that do the job, and sympathy to those that laid down they're life, I wish I could say it would stop, but it's not getting any prettier out there.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

I offer my condolances as well and I deeply respect all of those who put their lives in danger. Those who unselfishishly put the their lives on the line to protect the public. All police officers are human beings that have their own life, family, and friends.

Mark

Having two cousins who are Sheriff's officers and several freinds who are Houston cops it is really difficult to see this happen. Makes us all think about how human we really are. Condolences to the family and friends.

This is one area area of the violating the law where I think public hanging should still take place.......

Went to a Charlie Daniels' concert a few years back. He had something to say about street crime:

"Justice is only as far away as a sturdy oak tree and 20 feet of rope."

After a fair trial, of course.