HybridZ

Who has run 17x9 rear on a 240Z (no flares)

I've got 17x8, 5.72" BS wheels with 275/40-17 tires. I'm using a 5/16" spacer.

Your wheels have about 5.95" BS, so I would guess a spacer about 1/2" would work.

My coil-overs are 10", 200lbs/in. The tightest clearance is between the tire sidewall and the spring perch.

Don

On my 1970 240Z.....regarding the rear tire/wheel setup. I have Ground Control coil-overs with 8" free length springs (as appossed to 10" springs) on struts that have been shortened 1.5". My rear wheels are 17 x 9 with 35mm offset and 235-40 x 17'' Yokohamas.

I very carefully calculated the width of my spacers in order to center wheel without rubbing problems. My car sits pretty low and I have approximately 0.125" clearance between the wheel and the strut tube. My spacers are approx 7/8" wide. 17 x 9 wheels will work, but you may have to do some thinking and measuring ahead of time. Mind you, if I went to 245-40 x 17" tires in the rear, I believe I would have a rub problem. Hope this helps some.

cyrus, I just looked at your personal profile......your a mechanical engineer! Come on, you should be able to figure this one out! Besides, think of the good experience you will aquire. Did you get my PM? Also, I believe 1tuffZ had his wheels custom made by Compumotive and are actually 8.5"wide....at least thats what he just posted over at CLASSIC ZCAR CLUB.

well 2126 caught me. It is because I want to order custom stub axle so no spacer is needed (NHRA)....,But I do not want to spend the brake/coilover money yet ($$$$/$$$). If I had all the parts this would be easy.

Are you sure about the NHRA rule? They never said anything to me about mine. Or when I had the 1.5" adapters. You will have to run a coil over to get a 9" in the rear for sure and you will need to run an 8" spring with it.

ruben, i'm not sure of the specs, but feel free to call alan at motorsport specialities. they have all the specs we used to build the wheels with. and no, i don't have any clearance issues whatsoever. i did try them on my 83 zx turbo but they rubbed on the spring perch in the rear.