HybridZ

New to the board - Already have LS1 (questions)

Hey guys, I'm new to the board, posting wise. I look almost every day at your guys post and I know there are some people on here that know there shit so I have a question for you. I have just recently (this sunday) acquired LS1 short block that was over-heated several times, I tore into it this week and found out that I need at least a new block and a few pistsons. Aparently there was something in 2 of the combustion chambers bouncing around because 2 of the pistons are all chewed up on the top, as well as the block being cracked down one of the sleves and the aluminum around it is cracking in 2 places. So my question to you guys is; does anyone sell aftermarket LS1 blocks? Question 2: Would my LS1 crank, rods and cam work in a old-school chevy 350 block? Just for the fact that I dont want to deal with fuel injection, wiring, ecu, ect... and even if I build a LS1 long block its getting a carb slapped on it, so would I be better off building the LS1 long block as a semi-built LS1 (forged pistons and rods) or get a old-school 350 block and building this crank, rods and cam in that? I apprecate any replys ahead of time. :)

Welcome,

This kind of goes against what you are asking, but since I have an LS1, here is my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

Slapping a carb on an LS1 defeats the whole purpose of going with the newer generation small block. If you want a carbed motor, don't build the LS1. Parts are much more expensive (although getting cheaper everyday).

But, what I would do is is build the LS1 and keep the fuel injection and ECU. You will not be sorry for enduring a slight wiring headache to get fuel economy, big power potential, and tuning ease. And, with GM slapping LS2's in just about everything, they are going to be a dime a dozen in about 5 years. That said, the LS1 prices are dropping fast. You may want to start over and get a complete junk yard LS1. I bought a wrecked 2001 Trans AM for $4500. After parting it out and keeping the motor, I got an LS1 with 10K miles for about $2000, spent $1000 on pulley setup and headers to make it fit. That was 2 years ago. A sweet deal back then, but if you look long enough you can find better deals now.

Just my $.02, good luck.

Question 1. No, there are only GM blocks. The LS6 block will work fine as will the LS1. You can buy blocks on ebay or you can go to one of the LS1 boards and possibly get a used block for a good price.

Question 2. No, they are completly different.

My opinion is to find a good used complete LS1/T56 from a 2001 or newer fbody to do your conversion with and trash the blown up shortblock or part it out.

thanks guys, I think im going to listen to you guys. sounds like I'll part it out and get a complete one.

dan juday - I didnt pay anything for it, my older sister's fiance gave it to me. he did a LS1 swap into his RX7 and he got it with a blown head gasket and didnt know it so he took it out and droped a LS6 in it. Hence why I got it for free :D

TurboViper,

So are you still planning on converting the LS1 to a carbed intake? I have to agree with Maichor. If that's still your plan then save yourself a ton of money and get a first gen SBC. It will be eaiser to install, much less expensive and the money you save can be used to build it to the point where it makes lots of power.

Just my $.02 worth.

Wheelman

In my opinion the only Chevy motor I'd use in this day and age is the LS1/ LS6. I'd also NOTgo with carburetion on an LS1...

My LS1 in my vette just was tuned to an amazing 335HP and 353 # ft. of torque at the wheels with some software tuning... with a few simple bolt ons and some long tube headers... That equates to almost 400HP and well over 400# of torque at the crank on a 112K mile motor! The LS1 is an amazing powerplant for sure!

Mike

TurboViper' date='

So are you still planning on converting the LS1 to a carbed intake? I have to agree with Maichor. If that's still your plan then save yourself a ton of money and get a first gen SBC. It will be eaiser to install, much less expensive and the money you save can be used to build it to the point where it makes lots of power.

Just my $.02 worth.

Wheelman[/quote']

Wheelman,

I'm pretty sure im going to ditch the Carbed-LS1 idea and go with a first gen SBC. If anyone on here needs a good condition LS1 crank, cam, rockers, lifters and push-rods let me know and I'll part with them.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.

• 3 weeks later...