HybridZ

"The Enemy's" weak spot

Owen

Police departments continue to buy Ford’s Crown Victoria for their officers despite a series of lawsuits alleging that the car has a design flaw that can cause the gas tank to explode in a rear collision.

(USA Today, 6/6, David Kiley)

Just make sure you don't tailgate one of these!

Owen

Good deal, those are slow.

Tailgating an undercover state trooper in AL is a good way to get stopped and fussed at. Of course when he hits the brakes to make you tailgate him, kind of hard to make that one work.

You are not going to believe this, but I got a warning and an order to get out of his car. Geez, I guess I made him mad. :D

Originally posted by John Adkins:

the Crown Vics that caught fire from a fuel tank rupture were rear ended by cars going over 60 MPH...

http://www.auto.com/industry/iwirc9_20020309.htm

Yup - as with the Pinto, the 'design flaw' was most likely having a gas tank in the first place.

Go take a look at the back end of your Z and the placement of the tank. Tell me that it wouldn't rupture under the same circumstances (especially those of you that have removed the bumper for appearance).

Those Crown Vics are based on a 70 year old auto design: Frame, front engine, rear drive, live axle, rear tank, body on top. Modern sedans have the tank under the rear seat, between the 2 axle lines. Much more crash-worthy.

I dunno that the hunk of steel behind my tank will keep me from blowing up in a 60mph rear collision - I'd probably get crushed or killed from the impact regardless. It is good for some psychomalogikul reassurance though....

There could be more to the story. My Dad services the local PD's lifts and auto service equipment here in Conroe and at HPD in Houston. One flaw that you probabaly havnt heard of is after those cars get to be higher mileage the pinch gaps that hold the back portion(trunk and spring pearch area)of the the unibody gets fatigued and they are coming apart making a crack that runs the width of the car just above the rear axle all the way to the top of the spring perches. I could see that this would severly weaken the structure of the car and make it far more dangerous in a rear end collision...

Myron

Guest Zpeed

arn't american cars supposed to have the fuel tank in front of the rear axels, cause i am pretty sure thats why u guys arn't getting the holden monaro till around 2004 or so...