HybridZ

First drive in l28et swap tonight/ Issues

violacleff

So I went to the shop to pic up my z (240z, l28et 3.1l, z31ecu) and ran into a bunch of problems. Well I couldn't drive it home cause there was mad water leakage around the thermostat and housing, and furthermore the water temp gauge doent work anymore with the new harness. I have a greddy one at home though but didn't want to drive home under these conditions. Also the brakes had almost nothing to them. They were incredibly soft and took forever to stop from a slow roll. I can address that one as well. Two real problems are, the car is running rich and I cant figure out why. I have stock injectors and 20psi fuel pressure. Also the car is super loud! I mean louder than my 3.0NA with a 2 1/2 piping and flowmaster. Granted its a 3 in. all the way back through a straight thru muffler, but not even the resonator could help it. I thought turbo motors were quiet? Could this be symptoms of other problems in the motor? I ran a 3/8 return line to the tank, thinking that would solve my rich problem but it didn't. What gives? Well it did feel good to test drive my car after a year and a half but not under such worrysome conditions.

You know what, ignore what I said about the fuel pressure, I'm not 100% sure on where it was, my apologies. I'll have to check again when I go back the shop. I'm definitely not looking for luxury car leves. In fact, I was worried that this car was going to sound wimpy compared to my NA! This sucker is wake the dead loud at almost idle and the resonator only made it sound annoying, but not much quieter. The reason I bring it up, is grumpy vette wrote an article a while ago about loud cars and bad tunes, or something to that nature and I thought mine was out of the norm loud for a turbo car. I will hook up my A/F meter as soon as I get home so I can see exactly how rich its running. But the idle doesn't really sound that great, and its definitely running too rich by the smell. Could this have to do with a bov adjustment? I was just thinking, maybe the car is leaking vaccuum from the bov and throwing off the meter at idle. Is this possible?

I also have a 3" exhaust with a flow-thru muffler. It definatly has a deep exotic tone to it but it definatly isn't all that loud. A honda with a coffee-can muffler or a harley is definatly alot louder!! One thing about some frequencies is that some of them carry very far even if they are not that loud. My car idling outside can be clearly heard inside my house (and the neighbor's houses too)

Hmmm, I never thought of that as a variable. The guys at the shop are working on the wate temp sensor as we speak. I didn't know the water temp would affect that. As a matter of fact I was going to bypass the stock sensor and just use my greddy one but the fan won't turn on, so we're guessing thats the problem and now we're trying to fix the stock one.

If you're not sure on the fuel pressure, and you actually remember a reading of 20psi, let me make some guesses:

1) you are using the stock 240Z fuel return line.

2) you measured fuel pressure in the return line.

I will almost BET that is your problem if you are running rich! Aside from a disconnected water temperature sensor, people running the small 240 return line on their EFI car is teh #1 reason for rich running.

Swap your return line to the Evap line on the left fender well of the car, and you should drop your fuel pressure in the return line to zero, and this wil let you run the proper fuel pressure on the front end.

Just a wild guess, but educated guess....LOL