HybridZ

Just picked this up today...

buZy

Thermal Dynamics machines are awesome. They may not be quite as smooth as a Miller or Hobart at TIG, but they make up for it by being able to do the smoothest stick welds I've ever seen, and are more portable as well. My welder is almost identical to yours, but I cant use it yet since I dont have 220V where I live :(

Mike

Scumdog, Very Nice! A guy at work just got a new one a week ago, $1685 shipped with everything. You got a good deal! Did you get a flowmeter/regulator and foot control with it too? Did they by chance throw a bottle in? If you are not aware, there are some really good welding forums with many TA185 users (http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard and http://www.millermotorsports.com/mboard). there is one other but I can't remember the address. I really like the hobart site as it seems like most members are hobbists. One thing I have read over and over, make sure to read the manual front to back, and pay attention to the tungsten type and preparation with an inverter.

Personally, I just received my Miller Dynasty 200DX this past Wednesday for my garage. Still waiting on the torch kit, should be here this coming week.

I almost bought the TA 185, but choose to pay the extra arm for the Miller because of the problem Z-Tard mentioned, the D200DX will run off 110V if required, and it is American made.

BTW Z-Tard, I am not sure where you live, but would assume that what you mean is that you don't have a 220V circuit setup for your welder? You should have 220V if in the US, since that is what Dryer's and Electric Stoves use (although maybe you have an old house, I don't know). Anyway, it is really easy to wire in a 220V circuit from the panel usually if you were so inclined, or to make an adapter extension to just use a dryer or stove outlet.

Joshua

Joshua, Welder came with everything you stated except the argon bottle. Thanks for those forums info too! I'll need it as started practicing this week doing TIG. This machine is cool and so precise it really shows the mistakes.

I'm putting my Z front suspension on hold right now (sigh) to learn TIG. Well it's part of the whole project as welding in the upper camber plates is my end goal.

Scumdog,

I have kind of done the same thing. I have put a lot of the body work on hold until I learn how to TIG as well. I did the drivers rear fender using my mig, as well as the floor pans, subframe connectors, and crossmember. I really would like to TIG the rest of the body work though, amoung other things.

That is great that you got everything with it, good deal! I just got another bottle Friday for mine, so all I need is my torch kit. After reading about TIG welding on a number of forums (also including Shopfloortalk), it seems a lot of experienced welders recommend starting with gas welding, and talking a class. Personally I will try it on my own, I feel I should be able to pick it up fine with some practice.

Please keep us up to date on the learning process..

Thanks,

Joshua