HybridZ

Pre Oiler / After Oiler...worth the money?

81280zxtc

Fellow Z buffs,

I have always been concerned with pre oiling and oiling after shutdown. I would always want some type of oil pressure build up before the motor actually turns over. Sometimes, if the car was sitting for a long period of time, I would pull the coil wire from the distributor and "start" the motor for a few seconds at a time, just to get oil distributed in the motor. I have found 2 sytems, one by accusump (http://www.accusump.com/acc_products/acc_units.html), the other by this company Pre-Luber (http://www.pre-luber.com/)

Which set up would you choose? I was leaning towards the pre-luber...your thoughts?

Thanks..

You are asking an excellent question....one on which I am sitting on the fence on.

I considered the Accusump (1qt pre-oiler) at one time....but then I figured this world has some dang hot street cars (Ferraris, 600hp+ Vettes, Lambos and Porsches etc etc), cars that make my ZXT look like garabage and they do not have Accusumps installed, and we know those owners can afford them!

So I decided to not bother...I have only really seen Preoilers and Accusumps installed on mosted heavily abused track race cars.

Yasin

Guest SeanyD300zxT

The theory is there slownrusty, but just cause they 'have' the money, doesn't mean they know enough to install one of these systems.

wouldn't something as simple as a 'spark interrupt' which would delay spark for a few cranks (5-10seconds?) work just as well....except for the fact that your car would always sound broken on startup

I always thought the problem with first start up is moving parts with no oil on them. If this is so, then simply interupting the spark to turn the engine over is just the same thing. Personally I would want the engine to start as soon as possible to get the oil pump spinning faster and get more oil moving through the system. A true pre oiler would work best by moving oil through the galleys without spinning the engine over.

FEnatic......you took the words right out of my mouth. IMO, these pre-oiler systems are intended for highly modified, tight toleranced race engines. I believe its all about reliability...sparring the rotating parts from those first few seconds of no to low oil pressure. I believe these systems are definitely a plus but you have to ask yourself....do I really need one of these systems, probably not.....or, do I really want one of these systems, probably yes! For sure it will not hurt.

It couldn't hurt to have one on a street car though. Nothing wrong with maintaining an engine and these pre-lubers do just that. I have the Accusump, what I like about it is that it's not just a pre-luber, it can dump more oil into the system if you ever lose pressure while driving.

Post lubing wouldn't work as it's a pressurized canister, there would be no pressure left for the next start-up. Don't know about the other system.

Owen

1)Most race cars that are driven get beat up over time.

2) Most guys that race frequently know what works.

3) Lots of ugly cars have very expensive engines

4) anything to prelube your motor prior to turning it over is a good idea

5) $400 is cheap insurance on a $10k motor

6) most Ferrari owners do not race their cars

Moroso and Canton Mecca both make accusumps and I run one in my racing Z.

I guess I going to go for the pre luber. I like the idea of the accusump that it can provide some oil if you drop pressure suddenly, but I've had a bad experience once and wouldn't want to have it happen again.

Most likely I'll purchase and install mid spring. Will keep you all posted.

Thanks for the replies.

Rob