HybridZ

Fuel Line Routing?

I ran mine up the tunnel to the firewall. It depends on the engine and where the fuel lines need to come up. The LT1 has them at the rear of the intake.

You just want to make sure they are away from the exhaust's heat.

Tim

OK...

I talked to a local guy and also did some research on the net and it appears as though alot of people have just left the lines where they are at without any problems, but, just to be safe, I'm going to see if I can find some heat wrapping for the lines. I just don't feel too comfortable bending line without kinking it.

Thanks for the input Tim.

When I converted my carbed V8Z to TBI, I needed a new line big enough to

use for return. I kept the 3/8" one I had put in the tunnel, but added a 1/2" AL line by running it inside the subframe connector.

The lines in the tunnel can get very close to the transmission depending on which one you use. With the Tremec TR-3550 (or TKO) 5spd, the trans comes very close.

Pete,

You said that with the TKO that it came very close, I assume to the tunnel walls? I am not sure about the differences in tranny tunnels over the years, but I know that my TKOII had plenty of room without cutting the original transmission mounts off. The Lakewood bellhousing on the other hand did require so massaging to fit properly.

I plan to run my exhaust tubes next to the transmission, over my tranny mount (which is not bar stock like the JTR manual).

Just Curious,

Joshua

I am wondering where to run my fuel lines though, as keeping them away from the exhaust is a good thing, but with my cross member and tranny mount, I can't easily run them along the inside wall of the subframe connectors. I will figure something out though...that is clean and neat.

Awd92gsx,

Did you do a test fit before cutting the tranny mount ear off?

You probably cut enough but I would grind it down closer to the tunnel brace just so you aren't cutting yourself on it while working on things.

Jolane,

Do a search on this topic and you'll find a thread that has pictures I posted of how I ran my fuel lines. I put them in the tunnel about where they are on a stock 240. There was some discussion about it being dangerous in the case of a driveshaft failure but I plan to run a driveshaft loop so it should be good. One of the lines is a bit close to the top of my T5 when it installed. I'm not using the JTR tranny mount either, I moved the Datsun mount back about 4 inches and slotted the part that is bolted to the tranny so everything would mate up. I also have pictures of my setup around somewhere if you'd like me to post them.

Wheelman

Wheelman,

No, I haven't test fit anything yet, but, I didn't want to have to have to put it in, and pull it multiple times.

I'm still a little worried about my headers, though, thinking maybe I should just get some closer fitting ones than the ones I have.

enginered2.jpg

I should, if all goes well, be able to at least get the engine mounted in the car this weekend.

I think it's almost impossible to do one of these swaps without doing some test fits to get things in the correct locations. I've installed and pulled my engine/tranny several times making sure everything clears.

What brand of headers are those?

The view isn't perfect in the picture but it does look as if they stick out bit.

A test fit will tell you. :)

Wheelman

If you want some help I would love to come hang out and lend a hand. I work nights Thursday through Sunday so basically I am off work from Monday moring till Thursday night.

You should check out the Sanderson block hugger that JTR sells. A little pricey but look great. I was very impressed by their shape compared to the cheaper hugger like I had originally.

Jake

Pete' date='

You said that with the TKO that it came very close, I assume to the tunnel walls? I am not sure about the differences in tranny tunnels over the years, but I know that my TKOII had plenty of room without cutting the original transmission mounts off. The Lakewood bellhousing on the other hand did require so massaging to fit properly.

I plan to run my exhaust tubes next to the transmission, over my tranny mount (which is not bar stock like the JTR manual).

Just Curious,

Joshua

I am wondering where to run my fuel lines though, as keeping them away from the exhaust is a good thing, but with my cross member and tranny mount, I can't easily run them along the inside wall of the subframe connectors. I will figure something out though...that is clean and neat.[/quote']

Joshua,

The place where I had some close fit issues was near the fuel line where it snakes around the "stiffener" that is spot welded to the tunnel and the ears for the trans mount bracket are welded to. This was at the top of the tunnel. I had replaced the stock fuel feed line with a 3/8" aluminum hard

line.

Guest 77vegasz

I put a TH350 in my 280, and I ground the trans mount ears flush. This added some extra clearance. I later switched to a 700R4, and needed all of the extra clearance. Just climb in with a disc grinder, safety glasses and long sleeves.

Jon