HybridZ

Another dumb law

Guest tony78_280z

Guest tony78_280z

So myself the little woman and two kids have all been suffering from a sever cold. Symptoms range from ear infections, sore/strepped throat, stuffy nose, sneeze, cough and all around muscle aches. We all come down with this stuff at the same time.

So all four of us head off to Walmart to buy some cold medicine. (Or "Messidinn" as the youngest calls it.) Nyquill, Dayquill, Adult and Children types. Four boxes in total. Get to the check out and they tell us that we can not purchase more than two cold medicine products at one time! What kind of crap is that? There are obviously two adults and two children at the checkout line. We are obviously sick (I even had a perscription for the strepped throat on me.) But because we MIGHT use them to manufacture meth, we can't purchase the medicine that we badly need.

As I understand it one adult can only purchase two of these products at a time, since there was two of us we should have been able to get four, right? Even still parents often get sick with their children and need to get medicine.

I drove down the block to the Dollar Genneral to finish our shopping. What does this law do but hinder those who are ill. And I hear the laws are getting steeper.

Guest tony78_280z

Do you just follow my posts making sarcastic and humiliating comments? The "And then get out your hammer and dolly to fix the dent in the Z" comment was bad enough. Now you are accusing us of being meth heads. I'll tell ya what if we were on meth we definatly woudln't be over weight!!

:-P

I can understand the frustration...but I also see the other side. I personally know a kid in high school (a group actualy that my GF's son hangs out with) who was really going through the cough medicine...ends up SHE was on something made from cough medicine, I don't remember the name that was used. Bad news though, and it was rather abundant I guess throughout this group of kids. My GF is a nurse and had no idea about the "drug" they were making and using...

I feel like there should be less government, not more, but this falls under the same thinking as increased "gun control", the only people who the legislation will negatively affect are the honest ones. The "bad guys" will get whatever they want anyways...

As for two adults, so four bottles...along the lines of alcohol. I cannot buy alcohol with my teenage brother standing with me in line. He has to go wait in the car, and the alcohol has to be put back on the shelf so I can walk over a pick it up again and try checking out again. I don't drink by the way, but this happened when trying to buy a six pack for my dad during the holidays!

Hope you feel better!

Joshua

Well, here are some further steps....

1. Limit sales of kerosene, gasoline, and other gas-station hydrocarbons to 10 gallons (for example) per person per week. Otherwise, people might use those chemicals to make bombs, or to commit arson.

2. Limit sales of fertilizer only to those person who can prove that they are farmers. Farmers would have to show a special farmers' license, stating the acreage of the farm. Customers would only be allowed one pound of fertilizer per acre, per month; otherwise the fertilizer might be used to make bombs!

3. You're not allowed to rent a cargo van, unless you can prove to the rental agency that you're actually moving (from one residence to another). Doing so requires a special "relocation license", which is issued at a maximum of once per six months, per person.

4. In an effort to curb obesity, everyone is issued a "fast food ration card" by the Department of Health and Human Services. It has stamps for french fries, hamburgers, etc. To buy food at McDonald's, you have to show them your ration card; with every purchase the stamps are torn off, and if you have no more stamps let, you can't buy any more hamburgers, until the next month.

5. To encourage civic-mindedness and to promote physical exercise, the Department of Labor opens special labor camps. Volunteers report to duty for 8-hours shifts, doing work such as highway construction, digging ditches, repairing sewer lines, etc. Work is unpaid, but for every 8-hour shift you receive an additional fast food ration card.

Same thing happens to me. I use Walitin-D everyday, which is the off brand of Claritin-D, but cheaper. When I go to purchase the 15 pack of 24 hour tablets, everything is fine, but if I want to buy a months worth of tablets, then the clerk won't let me purchase both packages at once. I has something to do with an ingredient in Claritin-D, something that is used in weight loss products. Since I'm 6' 3" 195 lbs., the clerk has always rung me up twice sighting that I obviously don't have a problem with my weight. It's just a pain in the butt is all.

!M!

Guest 240zJake

It may not be just the fact that pseudoephedrine (the decongestant in Sudafed and Nyquil) is used to make meth (pseudoephedrine + lots of scary chemicals = methamphetamine), one of the "cool" new ways for kids in high school to get high is to drink excessive amounts of cough syrup. I know a couple of years ago when I was in high school it was really popular.

yah, im in highschool-i dont touch the **** though, cuz i've had frends that have OD'd the stuff- its called DXM, if u drink a bottle of it, u'll get pretty messed up-but the "cool" new thing to do is coraseeden(sp?) cold and cough, if u take about 16-u'll get messed up, but it eats away ur liver.-thats y i dont do it

Back here in Iowa we've got a bill on the table that will require EVERYONE who buys cold medicine to show an ID, and sign a statement, so that the state can track who is buying it. That's even the folks who buy only one box at a time.

This is just stupid. From what I've heard, you don't make meth with a few boxes of cold medicine. There was an article in the paper a few months ago about someone who was busted buying psudofedrine, and they had six cases, about $5000 worth- of the drug. I can see tracking the folks who buy it a case at a time, but making every person who buys it show ID is just stupid, and of course, it won't make a bit of difference in the meth problem.

I'm no fan of meth, and I'll be behind any law that can really reduce the meth problem in Iowa, but laws like this don't help, they only waste resources.

Let's look at it this way, if you will, and hopefully agree that......stupid laws are created by STUPID people!!! Remember this the next time we all go to vote! Let's be rational for a moment.....one cannot expect idiots to think logically or expect them to have the capability to think at all, for that matter! I'll stop right here...thank you.

The area I live is coming to be known as Meth Mountain by the local police. I know a guy that had a heart attack at 24 while doing meth. I know someone else who is on disability because the chicken house he was using as a lab burned down (though I think he is still in business). A house within 8 miles of my house blew up last year while they were in production. The meth problem is bad. The Pseudophedrine is the easiest substance to restrict that limits the ability to produce the stuff. OK has a law in place that puts it behind the counter and requires ID and signature. They claim meth busts have gone down 80%. That may mean nothing, but I would like to see what it would do around my house. I can deal with the inconvienence.