HybridZ

Hood clearance ??'s High rise intake?

Ok, I searched and maybe I'm not using the right words. The info I'm looking for is this.

With the JTR setup, is anybody running an air gap style intake? Does it clear the stock hood? Does anybody have a measurement from the top deck of the block to the underside of the hood? I'd just hate to put this thing in the car just to have clearance issues with the hood. If I need to change the intake I'd rather do it on the stand rather than in the car. The reason I ask is because I was looking through some photo albums and it looked a little tight with a standard height intake and it got me concerned.Any help is appreciated guys...!!

I am in the process of mounting my engine (actually, it has been mounted for ~6 weeks now) and currently have an airgap intake on it to use with a lift plate. I plan on using the Holley Stealth Ram EFI system for this engine, but that manifold did not accept a lift plate. I am not using the JTR mounting plates/mounts, but I do have the engine positioned as far back as possible and as low as possible (The 6" harmonic balancer is ~1/2" above the steering rack, the small HEI dist is ~3/8" from the firewall). With the engine mounted this way, there would be enough room for me to use the Airgap with my holley carb. I would definitely have to research aircleaners though, becuase it would take something that is rather thin (not a 3x14" style). It does look like it would work though with a stock hood.

I know that this may not help, but this is as far as I will be going with the Airgap intake.

Joshua

Marcus, I'm running an Edelbrock RPM airgap with the engine in the JTR postion. With a Holley DP, you can run a 3" element with at least a 1" drop base air cleaner with plenty of clearance to the stock hood. I'm running a 4" element with a 1 3/4" drop base and it is very tight, probably less than 1/4" clearance to the hood. Also should mention I'm talking about 14" diameter air filters. When checking for clearance, the tight place is not in the center, but rather where the "power bulge" in the hood rolls down to blend in with the rest of the hood.

How's that for a rambling disjointed reply?

EDIT: I should also add my car has the JTR crossmember spacers.

John

I've mounted several manifolds, including a victor-type single plane, using the JTR mount position and a TBI throttle body (which is roughly the same height as a 4-bbl carb). The limitation comes down, in my observation, to the filter assembly. With the victor, I used a home-brewed cold air intake, which added only about 1.5" above the injector pod. AND, it was in contact with the hood - luckily it was rubber, so contact wasn't so critical. Currently I have a Performer RPM (not an air-gap) with one of those little triangular Edelbrock filters, also very low, giving 1.25" clearance.

Guest tony78_280z
Marcus, I'm running an Edelbrock RPM airgap with the engine in the JTR postion. With a Holley DP, you can run a 3" element with at least a 1" drop base air cleaner with plenty of clearance to the stock hood.
Damn, the JTR mounts must be far lower than the crap Motorsport mounts from ZCarparts.com that I'm using. I got a stock manifold, Holley carb, and with a 3 inch on a low air cleaner the nut on top rubs the hood. Course I got a carb adapter/spacer too, but it's only about 1/2 inch.

Being one to blow tons of green before getting it right, I would say that any setup is tight. You just have to rely on the members here and hope for the best. I had my heart set on a Stealth Ram, and even with a custom low rise setup, it would have been close. I tell myself I have to be prepared to add a hood scoop. Heck, I may have to add some hood blisters for my turbos. It's going to be really close.

Mine is a ZX, and they tend to have less clearance. i am running a Performer with a 1" spacer under the Holley carb. Absolutely no room for a air cleaner. I used a modified intake hat from a Dodge Dakota/Jeep Grand Cherokee 360 V-8 routing to a K&N filter in front of the radiator.

Marcus,

HeavyZ is running a Victor-style manifold and 4 barrel....yes, he has a scoop, but at least maybe he could help you by giving you some measurements as to how far up the setup sits at the top of the carb on a worst case scenario; personally, I think he stated that it doesn't stick up too much. Try emailing him.

Davy

I have the JTR mounts and run a high rise Holley dual plane. I don't know exactly how it compares to the Air Gap, but it's about the same as the Victor Jr. in height. With a Holley carb, and 14x3 drop base Moroso air cleaner, I had 1/2" of clearance. The Holley 4bbl TBI is actually about 3/4" shorter than the carbs, so that could add some clearance.

You think you have worries, I'm going to be fitting a Hilborn stack injector with short bell stacks and I want it under the hood. Of course my buddy Glenn McCoy is trying to get me to put a clear section in the stock hood to show them off :).

One of the great things about the JTR placement is the ability to get a large air cleaner on the engine without a scoop. But I want to move away from the engine inducting hot under-hood air. I never did go to the setup Mike Kelly had on his car (can't remember the name - 14" air cleaner with snorkels and ducts to the radiator support). Anyway, hot under-hood air is a horsepower sink we should try to get rid of with these setups that use a traditional single or dual plane manifold.

Before I installed the turbos I used the JTR mounts with the 1/2" crossmember spacers. My 383 had the Victor Jr manifold and 750 DP. I used an inexpensive chrome, flat baseplate, 3" x 14 " aircleaner. There was apprx 1/2 to 3/4" clearance between the cleaner and the hood.

Hope this helps.

Hanns

Silicon Boy,

I have the Holley Stealth Ram injection system for my 383. I am not using the JTR mounts, but do have the engine positioned close to where I believe the JTR mounts put it. Although I have not actually put the intake on the engine with the engine in the car, it appears that there is pleanty of room under the hood for it! I have an airgap intake on the engine now. Using the god ol' tape measure it looks like there will not be any clearance problems. Actually, I think that the Stealth Ram will have more hood clearance than the airgap and carb.

Eventually, I want to make my own plenum for the stealth ram base, but that is only for looks. If clearance would be a problem for you, you could probably make your own plenum to fit your application. Shouldn't be much to it (with the right tools of course).

Joshua

I have the air gap intake installed withe the JTR mounts, but NO crossmember spacers. I have a 14x3 inch K&N drop base filter assembly, I think it's a 1 5/8 drop. and a holly 3310 carb. I have 1/4" clearence. I had to use a 1/4-20 nut to secure the top of the filter, because a plastic wing nut dinged my hood, the first time I closed my hood.

If my memory serves me right, isn't that a 3" inlet on the Dodge cold air intake? I am not sure if it would feed enough air to feed a air starved 383 sbc.

My guess is it would need to be 4" minumum to feed a stout V8 on the upper end. That said If I could find one of those in 4" or larger I would be set. Clean looking set up for sure.

Mike

Hanns,

It's coming along slowly of course. I have hooked up a giant fuel system, and that is the last of the major systems that needs to be done. Now I have to tie up loose ends (as in, what are all these loose wires doing here?) . If I put my nose to the grindstone I could fire it up in a couple weeks, but work is killing me. Sometime before summer though for firing up. There will still be a lot of work after that to get the car completely done-of course, we all know it never gets completely finished.

As far as the stealth ram plenum, I know there is a custom one out there that is lower, but I could TIG weld one for just a few bucks (as soon as I learn to tig weld!). I guess I'm going to stay with my hi-rise Victor Jr. type manifold with a verrrry short turbo hat.