HybridZ

Ditch the L28ET for a LS1???

Guest ON3GO

Guest comeandzpa
Nah...he's not man enough :twisted:

Dem's fightin words! Mike, maybe you could have a "rolling the car down the driveway" contest with him :wink:

GO WITH THE LS1! We can never have enough LS1Z's floating around on this board, plus they're fantastic engines. I'd love to have one in my Z, except that it'd crack the frame rails in half in about 2 seconds.

Guest comeandzpa
:shock: damn....that's below the belt.. :shock::)

But meant in the nicest way possible...I have nothing but respect for the work you've done on that car. Well, with the exception of the aforementioned taillight panel modifications, but at least you got that fixed. Good as before, if not better.

how do i get in on that "rolling the car down the driveway race"

is this a timed event, or will we meet some place ... and do i have to have my new JTR radiator, taurus fan, howard aluminum high flow pump, and that damn alternator mounted on the passenger side all in place .. or can i compete as is ???

i have driven both V8 and turbo L28 ... both have their fun factors ... i liked barking at the big dogs with the L28 ... most races are on a roll anyway, the turbo is already spooling ... big fun to trounce a mustang or camaro.

but, the V8, once in place, the V8 is very reliable, doesn't have to work as hard to get the same results, will probably get better gas mileage ...

personally, i'd like to have both ...

you should hold out until someone wrecks a new Z06 and grab the LS7 ... that way you'll have a few more weeks to think about it ...

now, about that rolling down the driveway race ...

Guest comeandzpa

Well I would think you'd want to race it without that stuff in, as it would give you some added weight for momentum...although more weight = higher repair bill when you find a non-movable object as your finish line!

I like the east coast/west coast idea...perhaps we on the better side (east) could finally show those Cali punks a thing or two about Zs. Although with Tim as their leader, they would put up one heck of a race. (this is all in good fun, mind you...love this place and everyone in it).

Back to the topic. I think the LS7 would be a phenomenal swap, but the prices! I'm guessing you won't be finding any on ebay for $2500 complete including ECU and harness anytime soon. However, the LS1 is still a mighty nice place to start. While I do appreciate the sound and technology of a small, turbocharged engine, c'mon...American muscle. There's just no comparison (in my mind, that is).

I say come over to the dark side!!!!!!:twisted:

Guy

You beat me to it! My totally stock '98 LS1 dyno'd at 311 RWHP and 326 ft-lb torque with the single 2 1/2" exhaust. With the new dual 2 1/2" exhaust and a small amount of work it will easily bump up to over 350.

You gotta love the torque curve too. It's over 300 ft-lbs for nearly all the normal operating range of the engine.

I rolled along side a Z28 this past Monday. He wanted to play a little but changed his mind after:

I pulled up next to him at 60mph in 4th, downshifted to 3rd and lit the tires up beside his window. Wound it out to 6K and spun the tires again on the 3-4 shift. He didn't come back.

Hot Rod magazine while some how managing to over look our "rolling down the driveway race ", they have an article on making 499 horses with an LS 2 on pump gas ...

LS 2 i'd imagine, would be heaps cheaper than the LS7 ...

of course i think, an iron block with all the stuff i need to put back on my z, would probably be beneficial rolling down the driveway ...

but for moving under its own power, that LS 2 would be sweet.

hot rod said that the dyno people had to rig up all kinds of stuff to get the LS2 to cooperate ... throttle by wire ... computer hook ups, ect.

imagine though, 364 cu inches, 499 horses, on pump gas, idles like the engine in grandpa's station wagon. cruising with the air on, smooth and docile, no one suspects a thing, until you put your foot into it ...

499 horses in a 240z ... that's over 3 times the stock horsepower of the L24

had a friend, back in the 70's ... 435 hp/350 in a vega gt kam back wagon. just revving it up, he'd pop the windshield out. that was with stiffeners.

what would 499 do to a 240z ?

Hot Rod magazine while some how managing to over look our "rolling down the driveway race "' date=' they have an article on making 499 horses with an LS 2 on pump gas ...

LS 2 i'd imagine, would be heaps cheaper than the LS7 ...

of course i think, an iron block with all the stuff i need to put back on my z, would probably be beneficial rolling down the driveway ...

but for moving under its own power, that LS 2 would be sweet.

hot rod said that the dyno people had to rig up all kinds of stuff to get the LS2 to cooperate ... throttle by wire ... computer hook ups, ect.

imagine though, 364 cu inches, 499 horses, on pump gas, idles like the engine in grandpa's station wagon. cruising with the air on, smooth and docile, no one suspects a thing, until you put your foot into it ...

499 horses in a 240z ... that's over 3 times the stock horsepower of the L24

had a friend, back in the 70's ... 435 hp/350 in a vega gt kam back wagon. just revving it up, he'd pop the windshield out. that was with stiffeners.

what would 499 do to a 240z ?[/quote']

darius is puttin 700 to the wheels....

he just goes really really fast

he has his z back together again ???

a friend ( Andy ) used to ride bikes with him, told me, D pulled the engine and the z was sitting ... i had seen pix that were supposed to be of bigger and better ... never heard any more about it ...

Andy's riding on the other side now, slid into a post at over an estimated 120 mph, extended swing arm may have broken.

i don't know anyone else that knows Darius.

has anyone seen his z recently ?