HybridZ

CV conversion for R180?

ezzzzzzz

I'm soooo tired of searching all of the Z sites without hard fast results. It seems that most questions get sidetracked with opinions or preferences and ultimately the original question never gets a viable answer. Okay, enuff of my ranting...

I have a 71 240Z with a 4.10 limited slip R180. I've climbed under the car and looked as well as rotating tires and counting driveshaft rotations. It is in excellent condition and I have no interest in swapping it out for a R200. One of my outer U-joints is failing and I would like to convert to a CV setup, if possible. I cannot find a viable step-by-step procedure to do this if one even exist. If not, the other option will hopefully be to use HD U-joints like those produced by CTM should the size required be produced. They are very expensive and used almost exclusively by the competition rock crawlers. These U-joints do not have bearings but are sleeved instead.

Bottom line, is there a doable CV swap that will allow me to keep my R180? Is so, could someone provide the vital information? Many thanks..

You need to contact Ross Corrigan at Modern Motorsports. He will give you definitive answers and have the parts you need to do it. Keep in mind that MM is a part time business for him as he has a day job that keeps him very busy. It may be a few days before he returns your e-mail. If you can be patient he will be your best source of help.

sales@modern-motorsports.com

The [rare] R180 CV axles from a 2+2 automatic ZX or a set from the first generation Maxima (1981 to 1985) will fit the R180 diff that uses a snap ring to secure the input shaft of the CV axle (where it goes into the diff). Is your R180 like that? All of the 115mm LSD's used the snap ring.

You have to use the round, six-bolt CV type companion flange piece on your stub axle as well.

However, if you are using the adjustable outer control arm bushings to adjust the rear camber/toe, then this adjustment moves the outer stub axle housing closer to the diff to correct the negative camber that results from lowering the early Z cars. As a result the R180 CV axles will bind (as they will be too long).

To solve this problem you can disassemble the R180 CV axle and replace the center shaft with a shorter one from an R200 CV axle. This is what I had to do. This is a lot more work (and money), but I was determined to use CV axles with my R180 diff.

Some related threads:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=98212

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=97309

My Z is presently in the body shop for damaged incurred when a rear tire came apart and whipped the sheetmetal viciously. I'll have to look at my diff when it comes out. The FSM shows a bolt extending through the flange and into the actual differential holding the flange assembly into the housing. Is this the part that might actually be a snap ring retention style unit? I can only hope that is the case and I have such a a diff. I can only imagine that an original R180 LSD with 4.10 r&p is rare(?). I'd really like to keep the R180 as it is stout enough for the slightly modified 2.4 L6 installed. I may hesitantly consider a swap to the R200 to get the CV longivity. Does anyone have photos of the Maxima CV assemblies and the matching R180 diff so I have a good reference? I'd like to spend hours scouring junkyards but I simply don't have the time to invest anymore. I'm also in the very early stages of Z ownership and understanding. Some of the terminology baffles me but I'm trying to grasp it as quickly as possible. That's why I'm relying on the knowledgebase of fellow Z enthusiasts.

I have set of these RARE cv's if intrested PM me, i want to sell, the only have 70something K on them !

how does a 100 USD sound ?

In europe they came on 83 at's BTW a 100 is ex S.H, witch might ad 50 max so you are looking at 150 for a good set at your doorstep

let me know

Frank,

Please hold for me long enough to get over to the bodyshop and look at my rear diff housing. I'm assuming these Cv's just push (and snap lock) into the diff through the side covers unlike the early flanges that must be bolted in? Could you possibly provide photos so I have more of an idea of what I'm dealing with? E-mail me at mark4460@cox.net

Thanks, Ezzzzzzz

So Steve' date=' I assume that you used an adaptor plate of some sort so that the outer six bolt CV flange would bolt up to the four bolt S30 stub axle flange?

Any tips there? Very useful pic BTW :)[/quote']

No adaptor needed. Instead of the “four-bolt†S30 companion flange, the ZX’s and Maxima’s with CV axles used a “CV†companion flange that mated the end of the CV axle to the stub axle.

A pic of the CV companion flange can be found at:

http://alteredz.com/240ZCVHalfshaftConversion.htm

You realize that the picture is not a S30... My 1979 810 uses the same rear suspension as the ZX (in fact the 280ZX copied the 810 suspension) so it was a simple matter to convert my 810 to CV axles.