HybridZ

An idea for a scatershield of sorts.. ?

datsunlover

So I've only got an L28 and KA 5 speed.. but this summer I should have a lot more power due to the engine rebuild/cam, and will have the ability to spin the engine a bit faster (7K or maybe more..) I also plan to drive it quite hard, as it IS a 'fun' car.. :wink: So I got to thinking about something last night, (you know, clutch or flywheel coming off at high rpm and cutting off my feet.. :shock: ) and came up with an idea. It wouldn't be a bellhousing, but rather some pieces of 3/16 plate perhaps.. I was thinking I could weld/bolt them to the tranny tunel on either side in the footwell area (or in the tunnel itself) I was thinking maybe a piece 12"X 8" maybe.. I know it would add a few pounds of weight to the car, but I'm mainly thinking about the safety issue.. Anyone have thoughts/opinions on this? Definatly doable, but is it worth it? Would it work?

I did basically just what you said, but I used 2 layers of 1/8" plate. I only did the section of the tunnel that angles back (where your feet are), and I did both sides. Luckily I haven't tested it. :wink: I had considered a Kevlar blanket, but never got around to getting it, and I've been told it will hold the flywheel and that it won't hold the flywheel by different people.

The Z flywheel isn't right in line with your feet BTW. If you pop the hood and look the whole clutch assy is forward of the firewall. Still probably doesn't hurt to take some precautions...

The Z flywheel isn't right in line with your feet BTW. If you pop the hood and look the whole clutch assy is forward of the firewall. Still probably doesn't hurt to take some precautions...

Yes I know it's not in line. :wink: But like you said, precautions. I'm gona be redoing the carpet anyway, so while it's out I think I'll slap a few pieces of plate in there. I sometimes like to dump the clutch at oh... 5-6000 rpm and do some doughnuts.. :twisted: so yah, it'd add some piece of mind anyway..

If you want piece of mind, you are not thinking of the right pieces... Think about a full roll cage as you are doing doughnuts to prevent death and decapitation in case of a rollover.

Next I'd consider some protection for the boys... you know it seems just as likely you'd throw a rod or something and have a projectile enter the driver compartment... perhapse at seat level??? :shock:

Well, at this point I see a roll cage as more of a hasle that anything else.. Something to bash my head off, climb over getting in, and mainly, more weight above the center of gravity rooolllling around as I take corners.. I'll probly build some sort of cage in a few years (maybe) when I rip the car to pieces, and rebuild evrything (chasis, suspension, ect) to take a V8 swap..