HybridZ

What year 5.0 engine is the best to get?

Guest Nemesis280ZX

I am installing a 350-400 H.P. 302 & Tremec TKOII in my 77 280Z / Ferrari 250 GTO. I live 25 miles north of Prescott. The car went for paint today. I have been building cars for years and I finally decided to have someone else paint my car. My Factory Five 427 Cobra had the 93 5.0 engine and tranny, ran perfectly for the 5 years I had it! Yes I have a 239 Ford Ford Flathead in my 47 Ford pickup.

Bill

Guest Naked Raygun

The 89-92 engines are the best to get.

87-88's came with the highest factory horsepower but do not come with MAF. They are speed density and is a PITA to work with. Do not get the '93 engine as it came with hypereutic pistons and a lower horsepower rating.

I'm new to the list and to ford v8's! Why is the speed density a PITA to work on? I just acquired an '88 with 5speed. Is it possible to turn the intake around so the throttle is on the drivers side? The mating surfaces between the upper and lower intake look symetrical.......has anyone done this?

Thanks for the help

Jeff

I'm new to the list and to ford v8's! Why is the speed density a PITA to work on? I just acquired an '88 with 5speed. Is it possible to turn the intake around so the throttle is on the drivers side? The mating surfaces between the upper and lower intake look symetrical.......has anyone done this?

Thanks for the help

Jeff

From what I know, the speed density systems are very limited as far as aquiring additional horsepower when compared to a MAF or TBI system. Because Ford does not use this system anymore, should lend a clue on it's capability.

"Is it possible to turn the intake around so the throttle is on the drivers side? The mating surfaces between the upper and lower intake look symetrical.......has anyone done this?"

I haven't tried this yet, but I noticed that the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and Lincoln 5L engines have the throttle body on the driver's side of the upper intake. Maybe you can just swap the upper halfs if they can't be spun around.

If you would have searched this forum using "Best 5.0L" you would have come across the following thread that offers very well thought out and thorough answers:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=75349&highlight=5.0L

It's amazing what you can find here using the search function. There are very thorough post regarding just about any topic that you can think up. So, if you have a question, please start by using the seach function.

Also, I have seen the upper intake reversed(stock intake). I considered doing just that but decided against it.

Dan McGrath